fighting her algae, even with Coraline.

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just as I hit the five month mark on this tank, I noticed a bunch of Coraline. Sadly, I am still battling hair algae. I really believed it to be a red cyano as it seemed to trace into some red algae sediment which was imbedded at the edge of the tank . I had cleaned out. I used chemi - clean according to the instructions, three scoops for 52 gallon system and it just caused my protein skimmer to be over flooding for four days now I still have to keep the protein skimmer valve open and I did a 20% water change at 48 hours and really has not resolved this algae. in the past, I had use some Dino X so I thought if it would've been dyno, the Dyno x would of got it.
I think I'm a bit surprised that I reached the state of Coraline, but I'm still battling these other pseudo algae growths. I don't think it's algae. I thought it was cyano. But chemi- clean did not remove it. Any ideas appreciated. I think the YouTube video kind of shows

IMG_6630.jpeg

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice I would of had for you is compromised because you used chemi clean. But here's some basic stuff..
1) chemical "quick fixes" rarely solve problems and typically have a cascading effect.
2) 5 months is still very young, the ocean has had millions of years to find it's balance. The tank will continue to go through its phases. Chemicals set you back, not forward.
3) herbivores are the key to algea control. Erradication is not the goal, algea is part of the healthy ecosystem. if algea can't live, corals are not likely to do well either.
4) a little coralline doesn't mean you're done. You need to keep it healthy and growing, expanding coverage, while keeping algea at bay. It will resist undesirable growth but doesn't prevent it.
5) that looks like dinos more than gha, others may want microscope images to verify. Different strategies required.
6) if you want useful help, you will want to post parameters, system details and clear white light pictures. EVERY TIME YOU'RE ASKING.

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i’m dealing with this too at about the 5 month mark. Keep weekly water changes and use a turkey baster to blast the stuff off and maybe try to catch it in a filter sock on your overflow.

My parameters are great. I think we are getting this via ugly phase.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m dealing with this too at about the 5 month mark. Keep weekly water changes and use a turkey baster to blast the stuff off and maybe try to catch it in a filter sock on your overflow.

My parameters are great. I think we are getting this via ugly phase.

Any advice I would of had for you is compromised because you used chemi clean. But here's some basic stuff..
1) chemical "quick fixes" rarely solve problems and typically have a cascading effect.
2) 5 months is still very young, the ocean has had millions of years to find it's balance. The tank will continue to go through its phases. Chemicals set you back, not forward.
3) herbivores are the key to algea control. Erradication is not the goal, algea is part of the healthy ecosystem. if algea can't live, corals are not likely to do well either.
4) a little coralline doesn't mean you're done. You need to keep it healthy and growing, expanding coverage, while keeping algea at bay. It will resist undesirable growth but doesn't prevent it.
5) that looks like dinos more than gha, others may want microscope images to verify. Different strategies required.
6) if you want useful help, you will want to post parameters, system details and clear white light pictures. EVERY TIME YOU'RE ASKING.
thanks for the information. Seemingly that as you at I compromised my system by using the chemicals that were supposedly completely safe as advertised. Should I do very aggressive water changes to get rid of the chemiclean?

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the information. Seemingly that as you at I compromised my system by using the chemicals that were supposedly completely safe as advertised. Should I do very aggressive water changes to get rid of the chemiclean?
That's the issue. You can't always trust what companies, trying to sell their product, say. A little time searching chemiclean will show the pattern you're describing. The damage is already done. I'm not sure how to pull out of that. water changes lower nutrients and dinos thrive in those conditions, might make it worse. My instinct is to change some water changes, manual removal, time and patience. Do some searching for better advice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
just as I hit the five month mark on this tank, I noticed a bunch of Coraline. Sadly, I am still battling hair algae. I really believed it to be a red cyano as it seemed to trace into some red algae sediment which was imbedded at the edge of the tank . I had cleaned out. I used chemi - clean according to the instructions, three scoops for 52 gallon system and it just caused my protein skimmer to be over flooding for four days now I still have to keep the protein skimmer valve open and I did a 20% water change at 48 hours and really has not resolved this algae. in the past, I had use some Dino X so I thought if it would've been dyno, the Dyno x would of got it.
I think I'm a bit surprised that I reached the state of Coraline, but I'm still battling these other pseudo algae growths. I don't think it's algae. I thought it was cyano. But chemi- clean did not remove it. Any ideas appreciated. I think the YouTube video kind of shows

IMG_6630.jpeg

Do you see this lessened in the morning and re-emerging during the day? I see this as dinoflagellates but need brighter lighting to clearly see

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see this lessened in the morning and re-emerging during the day? I see this as dinoflagellates but need brighter lighting to clearly see
yes, light exacerbated. i could go dark, and then there would be lot less of these whatever it is, but when put the lights back on the flagellates reemerge. It's been like that since week one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
yes, light exacerbated. i could go dark, and then there would be lot less of these whatever it is, but when put the lights back on the flagellates reemerge. It's been like that since week one.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED AMINO OR ADD NOPOX which is food for dinos, however you can feed coral, food which will help no3 and po4 to increase. If increasing nutrients, try to keep no3 to about 5 until you are done battling these cells.
Doing a daily siphoning will help greatly But . . . . . Siphoning will reduce nutrients , so siphon the water into/through a filter sock and save the water and return it back to tank. Obviously clean the filter sock each time.
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

keithmeseroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6630.jpeg

Just had this problem in my 15 gallon nano cube. Check your phosphates and run GFO if they're over 0.1ppm. lost some zoas to persistent film algae but ran GFO and everything is on the mend in there. Might be something to look into

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6630.jpeg

Could it be dinoflagellates?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be dinoflagellates?
It is mostly cyano bacteria. I know this because the red chemic clean did succeed in eradicating it even though it damaged some coral in the process. next time if I use it, I will a place all my precious coral in another tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back