Fiancé left me, new house = new tank

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this past weekend my fiancé told me she doesn’t love me anymore and I’m back to living with my parents. On the bright side, I’m converting the empty room with much more space in their basement into the ultimate bat cave (I’m very into goth culture) where I’ll keep my nano tanks. I’m also gonna put a 72x18 150g reef tank in the corner of the basement as the main attraction to my new bachelor pad lol. I need suggestions on super cool reef safe fish to put in after the cycle is done. I’ve always wanted a harlequin tusk, but my saltwater mentor at work told me that should be kept in a predator tank as it will eat my other fish. Is this true? If so what’s something else I could put in there as a centerpiece fish?

Also, what kind of rockscape should I do? It will most likely only have the front of the tank in sight for the most part, so should I do a reef wall in the back? Or should I do a center of tank build with arches and stuff?

Lmk what you think, thanks!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, sorry to hear about the fiancé, but also it sounds like you'll be better off, and your favorite hobby is a good way to keep your spirits up!

I have also heard that harlequin tusks can and will eat creatures that it can comfortably chomp into. How about an angel (depending on your coral desires) or beautiful tang?

If I were you I'd go with more sparse/arch style rockwork, so it can be filled out with coral. Rock walls are easy to start with, but in my experience and opinion they become quickly crowded and tight as coral grows...

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened, better now than after the wedding I suppose.

Can't say I know much about goth culture but it made me think of a tank stocked with all black and white fish with brightly lit corals as the back drop.

Black and white clownfish
Black Leopard Wrasse
Heniochus butterfly (the more reef safe one, can't remember the scientific name off the top of my head)
Yellow Tail Tamerin
Gem Tang
Marine Betta
Whatever that black dwarf angel is... Nox?
Black and white eel (I suck at eel names)
Engineer Goby
China Wrasse
Black Sailfin Blenny
Smiths Blenny
Some puffers I can't remember the name of..
Black Clown Goby... Tiger goby..
Lamarack Angel

I think you get my point lol

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, sorry to hear about the fiancé, but also it sounds like you'll be better off, and your favorite hobby is a good way to keep your spirits up!

I have also heard that harlequin tusks can and will eat creatures that it can comfortably chomp into. How about an angel (depending on your coral desires) or beautiful tang?

If I were you I'd go with more sparse/arch style rockwork, so it can be filled out with coral. Rock walls are easy to start with, but in my experience and opinion they become quickly crowded and tight as coral grows...
Thank you, I appreciate it. That’s unfortunate because the harequin tusk at my job I’m pretty sure views me as his primary caretaker and I would love to bring him home for a heavily discounted price lol.

If I add an angel it’ll be way down the line because they’re jerks and will claim the whole tank as theirs. But do you have any suggestions on a really nice tang?

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened, better now than after the wedding I suppose.

Can't say I know much about goth culture but it made me think of a tank stocked with all black and white fish with brightly lit corals as the back drop.

Black and white clownfish
Black Leopard Wrasse
Heniochus butterfly (the more reef safe one, can't remember the scientific name off the top of my head)
Yellow Tail Tamerin
Gem Tang
Marine Betta
Whatever that black dwarf angel is... Nox?
Black and white eel (I suck at eel names)
Engineer Goby
China Wrasse
Black Sailfin Blenny
Smiths Blenny
Some puffers I can't remember the name of..
Black Clown Goby... Tiger goby..
Lamarack Angel

I think you get my point lol
I love this idea honestly, but for whatever reason I actually enjoy all the color when it comes to my tanks even though every other aspect of my life is the opposite hahaha. I’ll definitely still be getting some black and white clowns but I don’t know exactly what morph I should go with, any suggestions?

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I am so sorry that happened to you, I could not imagine that happening. Second, I'm going to link you a couple of build threads that are 150g tanks to give you some ideas on what you can do with yours. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-150g-mixed-reef-tank-new-pics.883492/unread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/benapilots-sca-150-upgrade.769572/unread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hughs-first-reef-tank-150gallons.844934/unread
Thank you so much for this! I’ll definitely be filling the empty schedule with looking through it:)

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened but as stated better now than later. Only advise I have is next time you pair up have your own place so of it doesn't work out your not the one that has to move.
That’s very true, I don’t think I’ll be falling in love again anytime soon so I’ll make sure that’s established first lol

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate it. That’s unfortunate because the harequin tusk at my job I’m pretty sure views me as his primary caretaker and I would love to bring him home for a heavily discounted price lol.

If I add an angel it’ll be way down the line because they’re jerks and will claim the whole tank as theirs. But do you have any suggestions on a really nice tang?
a Gem tang might fit your desired color scheme:

1725482495979.png

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. That sucks. Flat out sucks. But this is the thing. There could have been an expensive wedding (that you still owed on). There could have been kids involved. I had something similar happen about 25, 30 years ago. We lived in a house, renting. Together x3 years and I'd proposed. She left me for a toothless cowboy wannabe with no ambition and no job....who lived in a 12 ft. camper in the middle of a field with no electricity and no running water. LOL, that was a blow to what little ego I had. My reaction was Wow. OK. Fine. Move on. Later Gator. I'm glad your parents were there for ya. And I LOVE your idea of a kick-butt fish tank. At the very least it'll keep ya busy!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read this.
Having dealt with a break a few years back its still a familiar feeling.
Your tank will make for a great distraction and makes for a good way to concentrate your energy on those days when the gravity seems extra weighty.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea honestly, but for whatever reason I actually enjoy all the color when it comes to my tanks even though every other aspect of my life is the opposite hahaha. I’ll definitely still be getting some black and white clowns but I don’t know exactly what morph I should go with, any suggestions?
Onyx Percula or Black Photons are a favorite of mine. They also make Picasso Clowns that have a good amount of black, mine are called BlackHawk Picasso's but different breeders probably have different names.

Darwin clowns if you want all black.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this past weekend my fiancé told me she doesn’t love me anymore and I’m back to living with my parents. On the bright side, I’m converting the empty room with much more space in their basement into the ultimate bat cave (I’m very into goth culture) where I’ll keep my nano tanks. I’m also gonna put a 72x18 150g reef tank in the corner of the basement as the main attraction to my new bachelor pad lol. I need suggestions on super cool reef safe fish to put in after the cycle is done. I’ve always wanted a harlequin tusk, but my saltwater mentor at work told me that should be kept in a predator tank as it will eat my other fish. Is this true? If so what’s something else I could put in there as a centerpiece fish?

Also, what kind of rockscape should I do? It will most likely only have the front of the tank in sight for the most part, so should I do a reef wall in the back? Or should I do a center of tank build with arches and stuff?

Sorry to hear that.
I don’t put any rocks on the back or sides leaving enough area to clean glass or get good flow.
So it’s kinda in the centre of my DT.
Enjoy!

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read this.
Having dealt with a break a few years back its still a familiar feeling.
Your tank will make for a great distraction and makes for a good way to concentrate your energy on those days when the gravity seems extra weighty.
Thank you, sorry to hear you went through it too. It sucks, but you’re right the tank will help a lot

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Please post pic of tank and space youre utilizing
Despite the many suggestions, do you want mid size fish, smaller fish, fish that group?
Budget?
Any coral plans that fish with fish?

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. That sucks. Flat out sucks. But this is the thing. There could have been an expensive wedding (that you still owed on). There could have been kids involved. I had something similar happen about 25, 30 years ago. We lived in a house, renting. Together x3 years and I'd proposed. She left me for a toothless cowboy wannabe with no ambition and no job....who lived in a 12 ft. camper in the middle of a field with no electricity and no running water. LOL, that was a blow to what little ego I had. My reaction was Wow. OK. Fine. Move on. Later Gator. I'm glad your parents were there for ya. And I LOVE your idea of a kick-butt fish tank. At the very least it'll keep ya busy!
Wow, I’m so sorry that happened to you. You make a good point though, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
GothFishKeeper

GothFishKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pic of tank and space youre utilizing
Despite the many suggestions, do you want mid size fish, smaller fish, fish that group?
Budget?
Any coral plans that fish with fish?
I’ll most likely be buying the tank tomorrow at work so I’ll give an update with pictures when I do.
I’d prefer to just have a few mid to large size fish along with my clowns and a nem.
Yes I want to do a mixed reef with mainly softies and LPS but wouldn’t mind a few SPS in there in the long run.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back