Favia next to favia

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all! So I recently had to move one of my favia due to a BTA getting bigger and moving just slightly. I put the one favia near another. But I see they are only about 1/2” apart. Will they hurt each other? Should I move it further away?

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are the same species then they will be fine, but "favia" has become a blanket term for many species (favites, dipsastraea, goniastrea, platygyra) there are only two species of true favia, and neither are ever seen in this hobby. You need to post pics for id :)

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the favia’s I am talking about are a raptor and a sector 9. Do you know if they can be near each other without any issues?
Favia raptor appears to be a goniastrea, while sector 9 appears to be a dipsastraea. I don't think anyone has tested this. I would find another spot just to be safe.

encrustingacro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favia raptor appears to be a goniastrea, while sector 9 appears to be a dipsastraea. I don't think anyone has tested this. I would find another spot just to be safe.
both are Dipsastraea (assuming you mean raptor's peace; if not, please post photo). True Goniastrea are actually pretty rare in the hobby. Most Goniastrea are actually Coelastrea.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both are Dipsastraea (assuming you mean raptor's peace; if not, please post photo). True Goniastrea are actually pretty rare in the hobby. Most Goniastrea are actually Coelastrea.
What if we just rolled all the astreas into myastrea it's so hard keep track lol

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pic of both

Attachments

• IMG_6868.jpeg
    IMG_6868.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6867.jpeg
    IMG_6867.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 45

encrustingacro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if we just rolled all the astreas into myastrea it's so hard keep track lol
Fun fact: at one point a long time ago (like pre-1900s), all moon/honeycomb corals used to be in the genus  Astrea. Today though,  Astrea is limited to three species: A. curta, A. annuligera, and A. rotulosa; the former two are very rarely found--if at all--in the hobby, and the latter third doesn't occur in the hobby due to being a Western Indian Ocean endemic.

encrustingacro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sector 9 is Favites cf pentagona while raptor's peace is Dipsastraea.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact: at one point a long time ago (like pre-1900s), all moon/honeycomb corals used to be in the genus  Astrea. Today though,  Astrea is limited to three species: A. curta, A. annuligera, and A. rotulosa; the former two are very rarely found--if at all--in the hobby, and the latter third doesn't occur in the hobby due to being a Western Indian Ocean endemic.
Thank you I love learning more stuff, but You got the joke right?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pic of both
The second I believe is also know as Day Glow Favites (Jason Fox). I got a tiny frag last year and it is a very fast grower for me. I recently chipped off some pieces and stuck them a different levels in my tank and they are all doing well.

I haven't noticed very long sweepers, maybe an inch, but has been keeping sympodium at bay in one spot.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back