+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R folks,

I recently introduced an exquisite wrasse and a pintail into my redsea 425. First few days they were getting along and now closing in on a week and the exquisite wrasse is bullying the pintail. The pintail is still swimming around, feeding well, however always in a state of running away from the exquisite wrasse. Theres no fin nipping just the chasing around. While a little territorial behavior is acceptable at what point should I consider removing the exquisite wrasse? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exquisite with a purple tang, melanurus wrasse, big eyed squirrel, Cuban hogfish, two caramel mocha clowns, blue spotted puffer. In a RedSea 350. There is an fairly regular pattern of someone chasing someone else, but they don’t stay at it constantly. When I first introduced the hogfish he got picked at pretty bad and thought I would have to pull him, but the night I determined that he wouldn’t be caught. That disruption may have been enough as within a few days his fins looked better. Now there is still chasing but no fin damage to anyone.
I would pull the exquisite if you feel that he is chasing the pintail to a point of exhaustion. If it seems more playful (maybe not the way to say it but hopefully you understand) then give them some time to grow accustomed to each other. But if it nonstop continuous you need to take some kind of action.
Depending on the tank set up, if you can, rearranging the rocks can restart territorial claiming. I’m guessing that the exquisite was there first, if so, if you can confuse him into thinking he is on a different part of the reef, he may be able to become neighbors with the pintail vs turf wars.

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exquisite with a purple tang, melanurus wrasse, big eyed squirrel, Cuban hogfish, two caramel mocha clowns, blue spotted puffer. In a RedSea 350. There is an fairly regular pattern of someone chasing someone else, but they don’t stay at it constantly. When I first introduced the hogfish he got picked at pretty bad and thought I would have to pull him, but the night I determined that he wouldn’t be caught. That disruption may have been enough as within a few days his fins looked better. Now there is still chasing but no fin damage to anyone.
I would pull the exquisite if you feel that he is chasing the pintail to a point of exhaustion. If it seems more playful (maybe not the way to say it but hopefully you understand) then give them some time to grow accustomed to each other. But if it nonstop continuous you need to take some kind of action.
Depending on the tank set up, if you can, rearranging the rocks can restart territorial claiming. I’m guessing that the exquisite was there first, if so, if you can confuse him into thinking he is on a different part of the reef, he may be able to become neighbors with the pintail vs turf wars.
Thank you for your response. It's on and off chasing. I see more chasing as the lights are going down for the night, idk why. Im keeping them well fed and the pintail chases down the food head on with the exquisite. I don't see any aggression when they are feeding. I'm sorry I'm not knowledgeable about wrasse behavior, this is my first time keeping them. Can't really moved the scape it's all glued together but I could add more rock. Both wrasses was introduced together, but it seems the exquisite is more dominant in this case. Do you think introducing more wrasses or fish might aid in spreading the aggression?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should eventually figure it out. As long as it's not constant, or whenever they get within eye sight of each other, they will work it out.

Wrasses have a hierarchy, and your 2 may just be sorting it out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should eventually figure it out. As long as it's not constant, or whenever they get within eye sight of each other, they will work it out.

Wrasses have a hierarchy, and your 2 may just be sorting it out.
Both wrasses swim together, i'm noticing its only when the pintail goes to a certain spot in the tank, then the exquisite chases him away. They do come within eye sight and I havent noticed any immediate aggression. thank you for your response

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @homer1475. Your exquisite is asserting dominance over the pintail, totally normal fairy wrasse behavior.

Problematic behavior is when damage is inflicted or when an aggressor confines the other wrasse and won't allow it to swim around the tank or feed.

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @homer1475. Your exquisite is asserting dominance over the pintail, totally normal fairy wrasse behavior.

Problematic behavior is when damage is inflicted or when an aggressor confines the other wrasse and won't allow it to swim around the tank or feed.
Thank you, the pintail is swimming around and feeds very well. Im overfeeding this week in hopes it alleviates the aggression. No damage so far and not getting cornered either, just the occasional chasing around and flashing.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back