Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for I will grab some Ree Crystal tonight from Petco and do a 10Gal WC tomorrow evening, I have no faith those corals will live for tonight :)

Just keep in mind that water changes will only lower your parameters if the salt mixes lower than what your tank has now and IF your salinity is actually correct. I wouldnt do anything until you confirm your salinity with somebody else. And again, your calcium and magnesium levels will not kill corals. They're higher than many run but they arent lethal.

OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,

I tried to calibrate the Hanna Salinity Tester with the Cal solution, after two attempts I get the same error displayed.
I went to my BRS Refractor for a test but I can't find the calibration solution.

Readings from both:
BRS refractor Tank Salinity: 1.040
Hanna Salinity Tester: 1.023ppm
Sent an email to Hanna Support to provide feedback on error for the tester.

tomorrow I will see what local reef shop in Northern Virginia has Reef Crystal salt mix as well as a Calibration solution. I will also see if I can bring in my water for testing as well.

IMG_0264.JPG

AquaCave Logo Banner

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,

I tried to calibrate the Hanna Salinity Tester with the Cal solution, after two attempts I get the same error displayed.
I went to my BRS Refractor for a test but I can't find the calibration solution.

Readings from both:
BRS refractor Tank Salinity: 1.040
Hanna Salinity Tester: 1.023ppm
Sent an email to Hanna Support to provide feedback on error for the tester.

tomorrow I will see what local reef shop in Northern Virginia has Reef Crystal salt mix as well as a Calibration solution. I will also see if I can bring in my water for testing as well.

View attachment 1219550
If the BRS refractometer is even close to right then that is a big problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
remember - Nothing goes quick in saltwater.
If you order salt from your local Petco and pick it up, you'll get a 10% discount

Avast

lapin

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you change salt mixes you need to look at this chart.
And I agree that you need to first calibrate your refractometer and get your tank salinity to 1.025 -1.026
I would then wait a week or 2 for your big 3 (alk, cal , mag) to stablize before making any adjustments.

OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you change salt mixes you need to look at this chart.
And I agree that you need to first calibrate your refractometer and get your tank salinity to 1.025 -1.026
I would then wait a week or 2 for your big 3 (alk, cal , mag) to stablize before making any adjustments.
thank you I will review shortly, also stumble on this as well

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

ccombs

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Keep your head up, we will get through this. I have personally had corals bounce back when I thought they were done for.

Although some of your parameters are out of range, I don't see anything that screams immediate coral death. For example, my tank is plagued by low pH and high nitrates, but they consistently stay there and don't swing all over the place and I have had success with corals. I would focus on stability and slow adjustments to get your parameters in range, as opposed to bottled products with overnight results.

In regards to coral. I would go coral by coral and evaluate flow and lighting needs. Typically this is where I have seen them close up. Be sure everything is placed where it can be the most successful. Patiently wait 48 hours after making any adjustments and re-evalutate.

I would also recommend taking pictures for comparison in a few days.

This hobby is a marathon. Take your time, be slow and methodical, and your tank will be good to you.

davedamage

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an uncalibrated refractometer read 1.025 consistently until I took my water to an LFS and had it checked on a Milwaukee digital tester only to find out my refractometer was reading almost 14 points high. I did big water changes on both of my tanks and months of being the "coral killer" changed immediately.

Nutramar Foods

SandJ

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oneilwiz there are a lot of reefers in your area (and several saltwater stores). If you have not found WAMAS reef club yet, please check them out. Awesome group of people that are happy to help a local reefer.
Blue Ribbon Koi is not too far from you and does water testing (they are mainly saltwater but also sell koi...very expensive koi lol...my daughter LOVED feeding them every trip).

OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@oneilwiz there are a lot of reefers in your area (and several saltwater stores). If you have not found WAMAS reef club yet, please check them out. Awesome group of people that are happy to help a local reefer.
Blue Ribbon Koi is not too far from you and does water testing (they are mainly saltwater but also sell koi...very expensive koi lol...my daughter LOVED feeding them every trip).
Thank you all for your help much appreciated. So I believe I never took a photo of my sump, I have way more rock in my tank than what is displayed. The rest sits in my sump instead of Chaeto. I will attack this slowly as recommended, I started to look at salt mix measurements and so far I think Tropic Marin would be my best to slowly reduce the Cal and MG while increasing the ALk. I guess you can't have it all lol.

Stay tune all, I will keep everyone posted when I get a chance today to test my water at either Reefescape, Blue Ribbon and CapitalAquarium both not too far from me. This hits me last night which shows how SUPER IMPORTANT local Pet Shops are as well as YOU the Reefers. Online stores cant assist when you have a Tank emergency.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.03.44 AM.png IMG_9698.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope you can get this sorted. I know it's frustrating, but you've got donde great hobbyists giving you help in this thread

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening gang,

So I went to LFS with a sample of my water. Take a wild guess, is the Hanna Salinity Tester accurate at 1.023? or is it the ATC Refractor Meter at 1.040?. Reef escape (LFS) tested and confirmed my Salinity is indeed 1.040. That will explain all the issues I been having. The Hanna Tester indeed is inaccurate.

Last night I tried twice to calibrate it in the solution that came with it but still get an Error message. Picked up a bottle of Refractometer Calibration Solution, came home and tested with the ATC refractor meter and received the same measurement.

Hands down thank you all for your help on this, greatly appreciated. I will work on slowly bringing down the salinity by doing a very small maybe a cup or two replacement of SW with RO water.

PS if anyone caught this I am selling the following used lights; DM

Kessil A160We with mount $200
Kessil H160 with mount $200

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As I mentioned - salinity. Got a false reading with icecap unit..... Told me that I was at 1.022 and upon using three other testers- was at 1.030.
Explained why corals were unhappy

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back