Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i accidentally cracked my new hammer’s skeleton while trying to get it off its plug after a dip rinse. The entire main frag melted and its flesh withered away. However a part of it split to the side and it’s literally just laying on the rock. Its been there for 2 days even after the coral’s death. Does that mean it’s alive? Should i glue it right side up? It’s literally just laying there

86DBB969-1273-48CC-8AA1-0B82745008D3.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i accidentally cracked my new hammer’s skeleton while trying to get it off its plug after a dip rinse. The entire main frag melted and its flesh withered away. However a part of it split to the side and it’s literally just laying on the rock. Its been there for 2 days even after the coral’s death. Does that mean it’s alive? Should i glue it right side up? It’s literally just laying there

View attachment 3054024
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but in my opinion this one is a goner. :(

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see if the polyp has any skeleton attached to it or not. Looks like it may have bailed out.

Personally, I would leave it right there. Either way, there's not a whole lot you're going to be able to do for it. If it's going to live it's going to do its own thing. There are reports of bailed heads regrowing skeleton from hammers. I have one in my frag tank.

Does look like the main colony is dead and I would pull that the skeleton out.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 3054024
Ive seen this too many times and ability to live off skeletal base is less than 1% unfortunately. You will see it shrink daily

OP
OP
L

liamelias

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see if the polyp has any skeleton attached to it or not. Looks like it may have bailed out.

Personally, I would leave it right there. Either way, there's not a whole lot you're going to be able to do for it. If it's going to live it's going to do its own thing. There are reports of bailed heads regrowing skeleton from hammers. I have one in my frag tank.

Does look like the main colony is dead and I would pull that the skeleton out.
It does have a piece of skeleton attached to it. I was so excited to still see it alive but yeah not getting my hopes up

Attachments

• D3D5CE2B-90FA-430C-B7F0-84E0F7B45D0C.jpeg
    D3D5CE2B-90FA-430C-B7F0-84E0F7B45D0C.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
L

liamelias

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd find a place it won't be disturbed to see if it keeps growing. Trying to glue suns a small frag isn't easy to do without doing more damage to the reamaing tissue.
Copied! Thank you. Will try to carefully move it. Fingers crossed

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back