EliMelly’s Bacteria Driven Mixed Reef

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry would you mind clarifying? Thanks!
Just my preference not having everything to the max
Having fish that all get along with each other a reef should be a nice carm place with fish having plenty of space
You have a large tank and it looks great
Some people buy large tanks and cram them with fish but remember your fish will grow and need more swimming space
And as I said I wish you all the luck going forward

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just my preference not having everything to the max
Having fish that all get along with each other a reef should be a nice carm place with fish having plenty of space
You have a large tank and it looks great
Some people buy large tanks and cram them with fish but remember your fish will grow and need more swimming space
And as I said I wish you all the luck going forward
I understand thanks so much. I haven’t had fish in so long since velvet it’s super tempting but you’re right!

Roughneck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's heart breaking to hear about your fish and journey with that new tank. It's funny how I'm following your foot steps, I almost bought the same 750G2 but decided to start with a 200G2 to learn the hobby before eventually going for a 750. I've been in the freshwater African Cichlids world for years but finally pulled the plug on the saltwater end of the hobby. It's super exiting but also terrifying (specially after reading your thread hahah).

Regarding your question on the fish stocking, how did you kept your nitrifying bacteria alive all this time during the fallow period? Do you feed the corals and it would feed the bacteria? I would personally add fish very slowly since it's hard to calculate your nitrifying potential without adding pure ammonia and testing.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's heart breaking to hear about your fish and journey with that new tank. It's funny how I'm following your foot steps, I almost bought the same 750G2 but decided to start with a 200G2 to learn the hobby before eventually going for a 750. I've been in the freshwater African Cichlids world for years but finally pulled the plug on the saltwater end of the hobby. It's super exiting but also terrifying (specially after reading your thread hahah).

Regarding your question on the fish stocking, how did you kept your nitrifying bacteria alive all this time during the fallow period? Do you feed the corals and it would feed the bacteria? I would personally add fish very slowly since it's hard to calculate your nitrifying potential without adding pure ammonia and testing.
I actually started with a 350. Cichlids are awesome. I took all corals out for the first 6 months of this tank to leave the lights off. I added food to the tank when the fish weren’t in. I currently am at about 49 nitrates. So I am in fact too high. My tank is incredibly established as it is all the rock and live rock from my old tank plus tons of additional bacterial that I started dosing with MB7 and now ZEO Bak. I will add groups of fish at a time

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plan for the day!

Set up bacteria reactor, attach dosing heads in the sump, make some coral snow, make some all for reef, and start dosing!

Parameters:

DKH 7.8
Phosphates .7
Nitrates 49
PH 8.1
MG 1369
Calcium 403

Will need to boost Mag a bit before adding all for reef. Will start carbon dosing and adjusting skimmer as well to decrease nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Doser and bacteria reactor are in. Plan for the day add back all my old corals and some new ones.

IMG_4737.jpeg

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So of course a hiccup. Shortly after I added in all corals I began to dose Bacto balance. I used chat gpt for calculations and ended up dosing over 6 times the recommended dose. Water was super murky and had sn algae bloom. Turned on the UV, did a water change, removed all corals. Thankfully things are back to normal.

Tank nitrates dropped from 30 to 25, while phosphates dropped from .3 to .03.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Updates.

Tank has been pretty stable, haven’t lost any corals and have some growth tips on my acros. Haven’t felt the need to start dosing yet as water changes have been sufficient. That will be changing this week.

Currently have 11 Anthias, 2 clowns, and a Diamond goby which has recently disappeared… hopefully it’s not dead my sand looks amazing.

Just got a pack from my friend. Walt Disney, PC Rainbow, Green Slimer, Oregon Tort, Pink Cadillac, Asd Rainbow Mille (both variations), TSA Fruity Pebbles, and Tanzanite Terror.

Will post pics soon!

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So the fish list for next delivery is confirmed!

Special thank you to the best fish shop in the world @Dr. Reef

Black Gladiator
Skeletor Eel
Banded Snake Eel
Midas Blenny
Earmuff Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse Captive Bred
Copperband
Mandarin Captive Bred Male
Royal Gramma
Moorish Idol

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some pictures! Yay the Walt Disney is nice and happy.

IMG_5187.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5185.jpeg
    IMG_5185.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5184.jpeg
    IMG_5184.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5183.jpeg
    IMG_5183.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some new coral additions today from golden state corals. Went with the family and had the wife pick out what she liked :)

Merlin’s Staff Acro
Ora Pearlberry Acro
TNT Anacropora
Pink branching Cyphadtrea
Orange Ricardia Mushroom
Plating Monti

IMG_5281.jpeg

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Working on dialing dosing currently. Alk dropped to 6.5 so slowly adding more and more to my all for reef dose. Thank god the Hannah checked for Alk only takes 30 seconds.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on dialing dosing currently. Alk dropped to 6.5 so slowly adding more and more to my all for reef dose. Thank god the Hannah checked for Alk only takes 30 seconds.
Get a CaRx going — going to save you time and money in the long run.

I’ve actually just activated mine since corals and coralline algae are depleting alk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Get a CaRx going — going to save you time and money in the long run.

I’ve actually just activated mine since corals and coralline algae is depleting alk.
I’m relatively new to SPS, I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely look into it once the consumption of all for reef becomes too much. I am mimicking the Sunnyx method so was contemplating kalkwasser as well.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m relatively new to SPS, I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely look into it once the consumption of all for reef becomes too much. I am mimicking the Sunnyx method so was contemplating kalkwasser as well.
At 200g, All4Reef might cost a fortune later once colonies grow out later. It should definitely work for now. I’ve done Kalk before, great source of pH but you’re limited by evaporation rate. With that combo, I think that your SPS will love you! Ha

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back