+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon reefers!

Got this elegance coral a couple weeks ago, it was doing great up until 2 days ago.. Been monitoring it but it hasn't improved. I've noticed its mouth has been open since and hasn't fully extended.. Haven't added anything new other than the elegance and a surface skimmer 2 days ago.. Parameters seem to be fine and all other corals look fine..

Ph: 8
Nitrate:10
Pho: .1
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Alk: 9.9
Salinity: 34.8

I forgot what calcium, magnesium numbers were but lfs said my mag was fine and my cal 10 above the recommended

The current fish in the tank: 2 clarkiis
3 chromis
1 melanurus wrasse
1 coral beauty
1 lagoon white striped goby
3 emeralds
And a bunch of different snails and inverts

Anything helps!

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230328_173219.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

ManWithAClam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I suspect false water readings. What test kits are you using?
They do not like high Magnesium levels- check that also. Elegance corals require moderate light to support photosynthesis required at a Par of about 80-120. Water flow which should be moderate as yuu don’t want the flow to be too hard or too soft but keeping the tentacles flowing gently. Too little flow and elegance corals will not thrive. Too much flow and you risk tearing their polyps. Proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps.
Elegance coral is photosynthetic, which contain photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that live inside its body and provides nutrition by converting the energy in light. They require regular feedings with foods such as krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of fish, and shrimp. Here is mine:

1680044247098.png

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not like high Magnesium levels- check that also. Elegance corals require moderate light to support photosynthesis required at a Par of about 80-120. Water flow which should be moderate as yuu don’t want the flow to be too hard or too soft but keeping the tentacles flowing gently. Too little flow and elegance corals will not thrive. Too much flow and you risk tearing their polyps. Proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps.
Elegance coral is photosynthetic, which contain photosynthetic algae called zooxanthellae that live inside its body and provides nutrition by converting the energy in light. They require regular feedings with foods such as krill, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, or small pieces of fish, and shrimp. Here is mine:

View attachment 3085799
Im currently using

View attachment 3085799
I use salifert and i take water to the lfs to compare and see if they're reading around the same range.. The only reading that was a bit off was the nitrates and pho, mine read between 10-25 for nitrates and .18 pho. LFS Read 5-10 nitrates and .1 pho.. im looking for the sheet they gave me for the calcium and magnesium to give the exact numbers but i remember 1250+ for mag and 400ish for calcium..

The flow to me seems okay, doesn't seem too soft or too strong but, kinda like a gentle breeze..

I've had it for 2 weeks now and I've only given it reef roids..

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3085799
Im currently using

View attachment 3085799
I use salifert and i take water to the lfs to compare and see if they're reading around the same range.. The only reading that was a bit off was the nitrates and pho, mine read between 10-25 for nitrates and .18 pho. LFS Read 5-10 nitrates and .1 pho.. im looking for the sheet they gave me for the calcium and magnesium to give the exact numbers but i remember 1250+ for mag and 400ish for calcium..

The flow to me seems okay, doesn't seem too soft or too strong but, kinda like a gentle breeze..

I've had it for 2 weeks now and I've only given it reef roids

View attachment 3085799
Thats beautiful btw!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im currently using

I've had it for 2 weeks now and I've only given it reef roids

Thats beautiful btw!
As I mentioned about Phos and mag. . . - Phos Likely your culprit. May also be hungry. Roids is a wrong food for these guys and also what may be driving your po4 level up. Feed Chopped krill, mysis shrimp and even plankton
As for flow, an example is leaves blowing in the wind. You dont want flow too low as besides delivering food to the coral it also keeps waste and sediment off of it

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned about Phos and mag. . . - Phos Likely your culprit. May also be hungry. Roids is a wrong food for these guys and also what may be driving your po4 level up. Feed Chopped krill, mysis shrimp and even plankton
As for flow, an example is leaves blowing in the wind. You dont want flow too low as besides delivering food to the coral it also keeps waste and sediment off of it
So i found the issue, i had my wife set up a camera facing it to see if the coral beauty could have turned and started picking at it.. Found out its being picked at by my goby.. He's picking at it quite feirced.. Did not expect gobies to pick at corals.. Gonna try to move to opposite of tank Hopefully that works

OP
OP
Yahdiel91

Yahdiel91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i found the issue, i had my wife set up a camera facing it to see if the coral beauty could have turned and started picking at it.. Found out its being picked at by my goby.. He's picking at it quite feirced.. Did not expect gobies to pick at corals.. Gonna try to move to opposite of tank Hopefully that works
Also saw him rip off some tentacles.. Hopefully it stops and i caught this in time

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back