+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah…
Certainly something I’ve learned is you can’t keep aggressive or even semi-aggressive with some fish. Having a peaceful tank and a plan for aggressive fish is key.
Main reason I do not keep the leopard wrasses. All of my fish are jurks. I would be selfish to even try one.
Along with pseudanthias tuka, I absolutely love the look of them. But they need a true peaceful system.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I do not keep the leopard wrasses. All of my fish are jurks. I would be selfish to even try one.
Along with pseudanthias tuka, I absolutely love the look of them. But they need a true peaceful system.
They are beautiful. I have a peaceful tank that allows me to keep leopards and tamarin wrasses. Though it does require the occasional eviction to this tank.

Nutramar Foods

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful. I have a peaceful tank that allows me to keep leopards and tamarin wrasses. Though it does require the occasional eviction to this tank.
Tamarins are gorgeous, I'm going to have to rummage through your builds for pics.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tamarins are gorgeous, I'm going to have to rummage through your builds for pics.
I do love them. Just wish I could get a redtail

106109D5-952D-473C-B812-F8F37C863E5D.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a juvenile dragon. Do they stay as hyper and active when they mature?
Rumour is they get quite aggressive. Its why I wanted one a similiar size or smaller to my other wrasse.
What are they always looking for in the sand? What pests do they eat?
Any small invert. Worms, crabs, shrimp. I have a feeling they are the ultimate bristle/fire worm hunters.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a picture you would see when you google juvenile Dragon wrasse! Looks good!
Thanks but I am disappointed. When I took that first picture I thought it was gold. Like SDreef quality so when I downloaded it onto my computer and it was blurry I was sad. But got plenty of time for a better shot.
Also my computer is fixed! Though it did cost macro lens money....

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this girl is such a pain to feed. I’m not sure if she’s scared of the others but now it’s nighttime hand feeding only. I want to write a new thread and edit my article since I have had these eels roughly a year now but for now here’s how I have to feed her.

@lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this girl is such a pain to feed. I’m not sure if she’s scared of the others but now it’s nighttime hand feeding only. I want to write a new thread and edit my article since I have had these eels roughly a year now but for now here’s how I have to feed her.

@lion king

Who knows what really happens over time, these have notoriously not done well long term, and a temperamental attitude during feeding is likely the number one reason. This may also be a faze, maybe even a breeding instinct, making them disinterested in feeding. There may be a reaction to the feeding response of the other eels, they may perceive as aggressive, all eels are going to be individuals. As a side note, I'm very frustrated with my tessa right now, really the most shy tessa I have ever seen and temperamental many times and feeding dominantly on salmon. Working them through this may get them back to a more dependable feeding routine. Depending on the collection size at a year many eels will reach a maturity where the frequency of feeding will be once a week or even longer. Also access your diet as they will start refusing foods not giving the nutrients they need, there also may need to be more time between feeding. Are you feeding whole shrimp, not shelled and gutted; really small whole fresh shrimp. Ribbon eels can be like this also, difficult for the entirety and some hobbyist lose patience, this may be due to some unknown causes but also has to do with nutritional deficiencies, that's how including live foods kept these going for the long term. Maybe even offering live food, but this become more difficult once the tank becomes more competitive. The ever changing challenges is what makes this fun and really cool to learn.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows what really happens over time, these have notoriously not done well long term, and a temperamental attitude during feeding is likely the number one reason. This may also be a faze, maybe even a breeding instinct, making them disinterested in feeding. There may be a reaction to the feeding response of the other eels, they may perceive as aggressive, all eels are going to be individuals. As a side note, I'm very frustrated with my tessa right now, really the most shy tessa I have ever seen and temperamental many times and feeding dominantly on salmon. Working them through this may get them back to a more dependable feeding routine. Depending on the collection size at a year many eels will reach a maturity where the frequency of feeding will be once a week or even longer. Also access your diet as they will start refusing foods not giving the nutrients they need, there also may need to be more time between feeding. Are you feeding whole shrimp, not shelled and gutted; really small whole fresh shrimp. Ribbon eels can be like this also, difficult for the entirety and some hobbyist lose patience, this may be due to some unknown causes but also has to do with nutritional deficiencies, that's how including live foods kept these going for the long term. Maybe even offering live food, but this become more difficult once the tank becomes more competitive. The ever changing challenges is what makes this fun and really cool to learn.
Whats frustrating is the lack of consistency. The other snake could not be more different in both behavior and physically. Obviously it is much shorter and fatter but its jaw also seems to be completely different as does is its head size compared to body. I don't know if you saw how tiny the width of that salmon chunk was but the gold spot eats chunks many times broader. What makes things even more confusing is I know one at an LFS that is also a gold-spotted but its shape is more similar to my banded.
Also the gold is a regular and aggressive eater. As soon as I put any of its regular foods in the tank it shoots out and goes on the hunt. They are polar opposites with the snowflake in between but much more like the gold. But I guess like you say with the Tessa I guess they're all unique. I'll see if things change and if not may have to separate them. As for food it seems to only really like smelly foods like squid and salmon now.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@lion king
My very first ribbon eel was this way. He only ate by hand feedings. You might be stuck with this behavior.

So very pretty though!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back