+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a die off of all my fish, I believe due to velvet parasite. I have a zebra eel that survived. Can the zebra contaminate any future fish? What can I do if I want to add fish in the future? Do I need to start all over?
Yes it can as velvet is a flagellate that needs to little to survive BUT is also short lived.
Before moving onto to velvet, can you provide a pic or two of the eel and velvet and also describe what symptoms you saw (other than appearance) with eel and other fish ?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a die off of all my fish, I believe due to velvet parasite. I have a zebra eel that survived. Can the zebra contaminate any future fish? What can I do if I want to add fish in the future? Do I need to start all over?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Morays are pretty resistant to both ich and velvet. However, I can't tell you if they might or might not harbor a chronic infection that then could reinfect new fish. Safest thing would be to treat the eel in a quarantine tank and let your display tank run fishless for 45 to 60 days (longer is safer).

Treating zebra eels is a bit of an issue. While most morays can be dosed with Coppersafe, zebra's are more sensitive and may stop feeding. You can't use hyposalinity for velvet, so that leaves chloroquine, or risking it with Coppersafe.

Jay

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back