EEFW or acoel flatworms?

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahoy all, I was just inspecting my QT tank and noticed a torch wasn't happy. I saw a little tan spot on it, so I pulled it out, dipped it in Reef Primer and a couple small brown-tan flatworms fell off. I popped it back in the tank and got ready to dip my other nearby torches when I spotted another one still on. Pulled it back out, dipped it in coralrx and came to the conclusion that Reef Primer is not all that effective against this specific flatworm. I checked a few posts here and got some conflicting answers as to whether these are some sort of acoel flatworm eating coral mucus and irritating, or if they are actively preying on the torch. My guess was that they're not euphyllia eating flatworms as I don't see any damage and the torch was out and happy this morning, but that could just be me being hopeful.

Regardless, thats what QT is for and I plan on pulling my torches out and dipping them every week or so for a month or however long the breeding cycle is for this specific type of worm is. Just hoping I can get a definitive ID so I can solidify the treatment plan. Surprisingly I didn't find any flatworms on any other nearby torches or hammers. Thanks all!

*edit* Sorry for the not fantastic photo, I tried picking one up to look at it through a loupe but they just sort of disintegrate under any sort of contact.

flatworm.jpg

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May want to run a round of flat worm stop to be safe
Is it worth doing if there aren't many flatworms? Like I said, I dipped my other nearby corals and nothing came off of them. I have some flatworm exit and nothing else in the tank besides QTed corals so I cant imagine it being a big deal to treat, but rather than going through the whole thing and killing three flatworms wouldn't spot treatments be the better course of action?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back