ED3's Aquariums

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, its been a few years since I updated the build thread for my UNS lagoon tank (which can be found here). I let this macro algae paradise grow out and other than never fully getting rid of the visible cyanobacteria I considered the tank a success and a great experience. I ended up moving in October 2022 and ordered a Waterbox Infinia Frag 125.4 that was delivered in April 2023 and has been running ever since. I decided to only keep SPS and plan for long term growth when designing my landscape and when considering equipment.

Current Equipment List:

-2x Radion G6 XR30 Pro LED Fixtures

-2x VorTech MP40 mQD Powerheads

-ProfiLux4 GHL Controller with KH Director and 8 additional dosing pumps)

-2x 400W Titanium Heaters (both on inkbird's for backup)

-Vectra S2 Return Pump

-Axium EShopps X-120 Skimmer

-80lbs Coarse Aragonite Sand

-Battery Backup for MP40's

-24 Month Cured Live Rock

-Grow light for reverse cycle refugium

To keep all this equipment seemingly neat and organized, I set up a cabinet on the left of the stand to hold the GHL equipment, battery backup and dosing chemicals because initially I was using a Tunze Osmolator for my ATO and one of the downsides (in my opinion) of this aquarium is the lack of space for equipment under the tank when you use the sump and ATO basin that come with it. I recently switched over to using a GHL dosing pump with level sensors as an ATO and have loved not having to carry buckets of water up stairs nor needing to have an extra care step for the tank when I travel.

Initially I was planning on using an Alkatronic, verca pumps, kalk stirrer and calcium reactor but switched course after not using the equipment for several months. I decided to keep things more streamline by using GHL dosers and a KH director versus the alkatronic and Randy's 2 part for lower pH aquariums until I can't keep up with the two part dosing or pH stability.

Setup mess.jpeg

I decided to try two different coralline spore cultures and a few different Hydrospace bacteria cultures when I started the initial cycle. The coralline spores definitively worked!

Building Rocks.jpeg

All of this rock, primarily old Marco Rock from 16 years ago I had sitting in boxes, had been cycling in a brute trashcans for 2 years prior to being used. I used the Marco cement for the rockscape and kept the rocks moist while they set. I ultimately added a few more rocks a couple of months after starting the tank

dAY ONE LIGHTS.jpeg
6.2.24 FTS.JPG

Mid july 2023.jpeg

Now that I have the space, all of my livestock and corals are being thoroughly monitored through a quarantine process. I have had some pests sneak in, mainly aiptasia somehow, but peppermint shrimps made quick work of those and I haven't seen any since. I have been using basic setups for QT systems and even since these pictures were taken, the systems have evolved.

Frag QT.jpg
IMG_9548.jpeg

And now we have the aquarium today 7/14/24:
image_50382593.JPG
image_50419201.JPG
image_50423553.JPG
image_50426369.JPG
image_50436097.JPG
image_50443521.JPG
image_50455041.JPG
image_50740481.JPG
image_67206401.JPG
image_67211777.JPG
image_67230465.JPG
image_67239681.JPG

Now before the tang police arrest me hear out why I have so much livestock in the pictures. Fortunately or unfortunately, my wife and I found out we would be needing to move by the summer of 2025 and decided to start planning on a larger tank for our new house. Shortly after this I ended up winning the supporting member raffle prize last year from @AlgaeBarn that was a CADE1200 Peninsula that they allowed me to upgrade for the difference in cost to a CADE REEF 2100 S2. Because of this I've been picking up small fish I want for this tank, quarantining them and adding them to the Waterbox. All of the fish are small enough that they are not stressed out and are all very active and happy. If I wasn't actively in the process of upgrading my aquarium I would never buy all of these fish with the hope of upgrading or rehoming eventually.

Several months ago I started cycling the Marco rock I had remaining from the waterbox scape along with a bunch more dry rock. I'm a big advocate of using fully cycled live rock/wild live rock for all reef tanks. I'm also fortunate in the sense that I'll be able to have the CADE up and running several months prior to moving any SPS or livestock into it. Hopefully the uglies get out of the way before I'm in the new house full time.

The CADE will use all of the equipment I'm currently using on the Waterbox except for the skimmer which will be upgraded to a larger one. I'll be eventually adding a dual chambered calcium reactor and will dose saturated kalkwasser to help maintain a higher pH at night. I'll be adding 4 more Radions to my current ones too. This aquarium is still being actively planned but I'll share any updates as they come up.

I hope you all enjoyed my tank and future plans!

Eddie

Last edited:

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank looks great! We can't wait to see what you do with the CADE once it is set up!

OP
OP
ED3

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, here is a current FTS, sorry for the blue I was lazy, and a picture of 3 months of growth on my two Bill Murray frags that were seen in my first post with the foxface.
IMG_3712.jpeg
IMG_3685.jpeg
IMG_3683.jpeg

Ok so, things are moving fast in life and I'm officially moving to NJ by the end of the year! I'll be posting nearly every day to hold myself accountable and make sure I'm moving along efficiently with setting up my new display reef and fish room.

Now comes planning the fish room and the new display. My plan for the CADE S2 2100 is to use my existing LR and LR I've had cooking for between 1 and 3 years. For now, the livestock will just be what I have in my waterbox plus a clown pair, gold bar possum wrasse and yellow jawfish I have in a 40B softie tank that is being taken down. Eventually I'd love to add some Anthias to the CADE but I'll wait a couple of months before giving the tank a bigger initial shock than it needs.

I initially was going to use most of the equipment from my waterbox to start but instead I'm going to use most of that for planning a separate frag system I'll use in case of emergency. Now the equipment list for the CADE is:

-Skimmer: Red Sea Reefer RSK-900
-Return: Vectra L2 x2
-Lighting: Radion X30 G6 Pro x6 hung long ways from front to back of the aquarium
-CaRx: Super Silent Extreme CR618 SSE 6"
-Controller: GHL Profilux with 3x GHL Doser 2.2 and KH Director
-Heater: 800W Finnex Titanium Heater X2 each on an Inkbird temp controller
-UV Sterilizer: Still deciding, will have one though
-Substrate: 200lbs coarse aragonite
-Circulation: MP40 x2 and MP60x2

The sump will be in the basement directly below the tank along with my RODI storage tanks and mixing station. I'm going to use a 100 gallon stock tank for the sump, nothing pretty here just volume. I'll be using the GHL doser's for AWC and ATO. I am switching to dosing saturated kalk and a CaRx vs 2 part because I think it'll be easier for me to keep up with maintenance, no other reason.

I'm also tying in a 7' frag runner tank and a display refugium (57 gallons) at the start. I doubt the fuge will benefit the tank in any noticeable way but I'd love to have a DSB with some mangroves, piles of live rock and macro algae. I'll probably throw some choice softies and anemones in the fuge too since I intend to keep the display SPS only for now. I'll use AI Prime 16HD's for above the fuge and some G5 radions I have for above the frag portion.

I also like the idea of a cryptic portion of the sump so I'm toying with the idea of tying in the 44gallon Brute trashcan I've been using to cook LR for years into the system.

OP
OP
ED3

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see these frags grow out in their new home

IMG_3749.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads