Dynos? Help please! Or diatoms?

jorgeeandreess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Im having issues with my tank I thought it was dynos but im not really sure. Please can you help me identify?

Todays parameters

Sal: 1.025
NO3: 5.6 ppm
PO4: 0.24 ppm
pH: 8.0 ppm
Alk: 8.3
Ca: 420 ppm
Mg: 1430 ppm

IMG_2817.jpeg IMG_2811.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 2 months
My friend if you are stressing an emergency after 2 months then you need a nice glass of wine and relax. Your numbers are ok it's not dinos most likely diatoms. You will have a variety of ugly phases throughout your first year. Weekly water changes the key for new tanks.

OP
OP
jorgeeandreess

jorgeeandreess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend if you are stressing an emergency after 2 months then you need a nice glass of wine and relax. Your numbers are ok it's not dinos most likely diatoms. You will have a variety of ugly phases throughout your first year. Weekly water changes the key for new tanks.
Thank you so much!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello! Im having issues with my tank I thought it was dynos but im not really sure. Please can you help me identify?

Todays parameters

Sal: 1.025
NO3: 5.6 ppm
PO4: 0.24 ppm
pH: 8.0 ppm
Alk: 8.3
Ca: 420 ppm
Mg: 1430 ppm

IMG_2817.jpeg IMG_2811.jpeg
I see diatoms and are normal while many hate the site of them. Diatoms are typically harmless to a reef tank and can be beaten once their food source which is often organics and silicates are gone. I you are using tap water for top-off or making salt mix, This too will cause diatoms.
Practice good aquarium maintenance by doing regular water changes, keeping substrate clean, don’t overfeed the tank and assure if applicable that your skimmer is running at optimal level and rinse filter socks and sponges on a regularly.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does diatoms cause bubbles?
It can it some cases sure. Pearling...diatoms are something every new tank gets the first month or two then they go away. The only reason they return later is if your water gets silicate in it typically from water changes with an expired DI filter.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he was laughing at my wine comment not at you personally. It's ok to be new that's why we have a nice forum to ask questions and get help as needed.
^ exactly

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back