+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience keeping an dwarf angels in such a tank (alone). For reference, the tank is:
  • Length​

31 IN
  • Height​

19 IN
  • Width​

13 IN

I've heard of angels like the coral beauty, flame angel, and the cherub angel being kept in a tank and them flourishing but what about a potters angel?

AS

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherubs/pymys stay a lot smaller and are probably the most appropriate fish.

I can not imagine my flame in a 29g, it is a pretty decent size fish and active, also not friendly at all so I would feel bad for any fish stuck in a small space with it.

Oh and my potters was just as big and active and kinda a bully as my flame.

Last edited:

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter's will be about the same size as a coral beauty. Expect about a 3" fish. Flames get a little bigger. I don't like either for a 29 gallon.

You could make a better argument for a cherub, flame back , and a couple others.

World Wide Corals

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flameback in a 29 for about 8 months until I upgraded and it didn't feel like the tank was too small for it. Granted it was a very small specimen when I bought it (1.5") and I had a pretty good amount of rock for it to swim in and out of, which gave it a lot of area to pick on as well.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub or flameback would be the ONLY ones I'd even consider, but even then my cherub uses every inch of my 120 gallon constantly cruising the entirety of it and weaving through the rockwork more than even my tomini tang. I think you could keep a cherub, but it certainly wouldn't be thriving. Also dwarf angels in small tanks can become quite mean and territorial so be prepared if you do go that route.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub or flameback would be the ONLY ones I'd even consider, but even then my cherub uses every inch of my 120 gallon constantly cruising the entirety of it and weaving through the rockwork more than even my tomini tang. I think you could keep a cherub, but it certainly wouldn't be thriving. Also dwarf angels in small tanks can become quite mean and territorial so be prepared if you do go that route.
Has the cherub bothered any of your LPS, clams or mushrooms?

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not have any LPS or clams at the moment, but it hasn't bothered my softies (including shrooms), feather dusters, or anemones.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on dwarf angels personally though is that if it tastes good to that particular angel, it'll eat it. They cruise constantly tasting every single surface in the tank. If it thinks that clam or lps tastes better than the seafood and algae blend you're feeding them, I imagine they'll go to town. Mine eats 4-5x a day and still pecks at every inch of the rock

AquaCave Logo Banner

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion on dwarf angels personally though is that if it tastes good to that particular angel, it'll eat it. They cruise constantly tasting every single surface in the tank. If it thinks that clam or lps tastes better than the seafood and algae blend you're feeding them, I imagine they'll go to town. Mine eats 4-5x a day and still pecks at every inch of the rock
Thanks. I have a lot of nice meaty lps. Not worth the risk.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gal tank is just too small for a dwarf angel. Even the smallest of angels like Atlantic pygmy angel (Cherub Angel) will be cramped in it and will be a terror in it.
I thought it over and I figured that I like the starcki damsel and that it would b optimal for my tank and it looks like an angelfish in a way.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back