Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Tank arrival in the next week or so. I have all the equipment for an E-Drain + full siphon via 2, 1.5” pipes that run 15’ down to my basement. Goal is 1,000gph flow on a 210g tank.

So I’m good with a durso based on the conservative figure of 1500gph through a 1.5” pipe….and fantastic with 2, 1.5” Durso drains. Why would I run a full siphon? It’s 15’ in my basement so I don’t care about noise. There won’t be any noise at the display, right?

If noise at the display isn’t an issue with the Durso, should I run 2 Dursos or a Durso and a slightly higher E-drain?

I’ve done full siphon with a gate valve before and it can be finicky so I’m wondering if I’ve over thought this and should just run 2 dursos.

CLICK TO VIEW

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Durso will make some noise at the top of the stand pipe. How much it will bother you I can’t say. If you have quiet DC pumps you will notice it for sure though.
If you chamfer the e-overflow you should not have to mess with balance that much to keep it quiet.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Durso will make some noise at the top of the stand pipe. How much it will bother you I can’t say. If you have quiet DC pumps you will notice it for sure though.
My use-case is a bit different as the pumps are in the basement. They’re silent upstairs.. 1.5” pipes each running 1/3 capacity (500gph)

Im hoping someone with a similar setup (or larger) will comment.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even 500 gph though a 1.5" standpipe will make some noise - whether enough to bother you, well only you will know that. Why wouldn't you run them in a herbie configuration?

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full siphon is silent... then... you will perseverate on the tiniest vibration noise from a powerhead instead. I think you will be happy either way, currently running full siphon on a BEAN. The only noise is from two power heads and trigger fish splashing water all over the place when they don't get fed on time.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
S

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even 500 gph though a 1.5" standpipe will make some noise - whether enough to bother you, well only you will know that. Why wouldn't you run them in a herbie configuration?
I probably will run a Herbie. Everything is designed for it. If I can drop stuff (like the gate valve) I’m all for it. I have the gate valve and everything dry fit. Just pondering. I’ve never run Durso so I thought I’d ask.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back