Duncan coral dying

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of Dunkins that I had initially believed to have been stung by a hammer coral. It receded and it was looking a little bit rough, but not too bad for a few days. I dipped it and moved it to a lower flow area of the tank to recover, however, it’s progressively getting worse. It almost looks like there are chunks being taken out of it, which leads me to believe that something might be eating it. I just lost an acan a few weeks ago because of the exact same issue. I have a mixed reef tank with mostly LPS, including hammers torches and a host of other things. I also have another Duncan colony that is doing absolutely fine. I do have a peppermint shrimp in my tank. Could that be causing the issue? Is he eating my coral? Other livestock and the tank includes Clownfish, a yellow tang, a one spot, fox face, a target mandarin, a six line wrass and other inverts such as emerald crabs, hermits, urchins and snails. I watch my tank pretty closely and I haven’t noticed anything eating my coral. I’m wondering if it’s happening at night, however.

IMG_0707.jpeg

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there isn't enough food for your shrimp to scavenge it may turn on your corals. I had a healthy blasto frag get decimated overnight. There wasn't anything nearby that could cause it harm. The only thing I could think of was the peppermint shrimp. I moved the blasto to my QT tank and it actually recovered. I did move it back to my DT and so far so good. The shrimp is in there still but I make sure there's enough food to scavenge. :)

OP
OP
derek12261984

derek12261984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there isn't enough food for your shrimp to scavenge it may turn on your corals. I had a healthy blasto frag get decimated overnight. There wasn't anything nearby that could cause it harm. The only thing I could think of was the peppermint shrimp. I moved the blasto to my QT tank and it actually recovered. I did move it back to my DT and so far so good. The shrimp is in there still but I make sure there's enough food to scavenge. :)
I feed several times a day, so I would think that he’d have enough. I’ll make sure he is fed directly. It honestly may have been a hammer stink that caused it but it really looks like a chunk was removed

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back