+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I estimate my Betta to be about 1 1/2 to 2 years old now, the shop I got him from had him for a while.

In the past my wife overfed him a couple months back and he developed sores around his stomach as well as pine coning but he recovered from that.

Did that possibly shorten his life span?
All of a sudden he's down in the dumps refusing food and spazing out randomly throughout the tank then going back down to rest on his side. It is his favorite spot though so I know he's not completely gone.

His body has been developing blackening lately I heard a lot of aged betta fish start turning black in spots before they die.

Filter and water have been changed a couple days ago like normal, there's a fancy guppy and 2 galaxy rasboras in there so I know it's not parameters.

Any input?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey guys,

I estimate my Betta to be about 1 1/2 to 2 years old now, the shop I got him from had him for a while.

In the past my wife overfed him a couple months back and he developed sores around his stomach as well as pine coning but he recovered from that.

All of a sudden he's down in the dumps refusing food and spazing out randomly throughout the tank then going back down to rest on his side. It is his favorite spot though so I know he's not completely gone.

His body has been developing blackening lately I heard a lot of aged betta fish start turning black in spots before they die.

Filter and water have been changed a couple days ago like normal, there's a fancy guppy and 2 galaxy rasboras in there so I know it's not parameters.

Any input?
I can tell you owning a LFS that betta lifespan is 2-2.5 years and may be playing a role
They are bred in rice patties and used to acidic water and being labyrinth deal with various oxygen content.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you owning a LFS that betta lifespan is 2-2.5 years and may be playing a role
They are bred in rice patties and used to acidic water and being labyrinth deal with various oxygen content.
So with what he's been through already you think it's just about his time to pass then?

Nutramar Foods

Sailaway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Any input?
That seems to be him just naturally slowing down, bettas typically live for about 11/2 to 2 years. Just make him as comfortable as possible.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be him just naturally slowing down, bettas typically live for about 11/2 to 2 years. Just make him as comfortable as possible.
For sure I cleaned out the tank of dead plants and am keeping the water clean. That's as much as I can do as he's not eating anything now.

Thank you guys for the info.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear! I also didn't know 2 years was the lifespan. I've had betta fish for 4 - 5 years. Maybe that's an outlier.
Yeah I don't know how old he was before I got him. Also he got overfed once and he pineconed. He recovered from that but most likely shortened his lifespan.

He's just passing like normal his body is turning black in some areas and he's refusing food. Others in the tank are completely unfazed. So I assume he's just too weak to eat.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back