Due to the apparent difficulty that nano tanks offer, is it justified to equip them heavily with controlling technology?

BRS

jgalina

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know what do you fellow reefers think on how to equip a nano tank, are controllers and other high tech gear justified to reduce the risk of catastrophic events? Most information and many times logic indicate that disaster can happen a lot faster in a nano due to size.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really very much automation on my part, even when I had my 30 gallon nano. I suppose if I had the space and budget I’d get more gadgetry. Have to say an Apex system would be nice in the future, but I kind of like the in person dosing and such. That all being said the smaller tank was fine without all the doodads.

Top Shelf Aquatics

BadCrab

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation does take up space, which is usually at a premium in nanos and picos. Agreed that the ATO will make the biggest difference as the salinity swings can be particularly dangerous in such small volumes.

I'm setting up a 22L that will be fully kitted out in gear, hoping to show off some of the things that a controller can do. So many people buy them and then underutilize them. They aren't some magic sauce, though. Buying into an expensive controller environment doesn't make a tank better. The aquarist makes the tank better - their experience and knowledge first-most. Gear is fluff.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has 2 nanos and 1 pico in his apartment, i can tell you that an ATO can definitely be useful but not much else it needed other than that...it comes down to exactly how sensitive the corals you'll be keeping are though...if you're going to have over $1000 of corals in that nano i would protect my investment with a little extra automation but you really don't need to go overboard

AS

Subliminal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are we automating?

I have an ai prime that is scheduled.
I have an auto top off in a float switch. Like has been said my open top 11 gallon went through a lot of water. A liter a day easy.

outside of that i scrape glass and change water every week.

no testing or dosing equites when 25-40% of the Ayer is changed weekly

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29 gallon sumped tank has an ATO, kalk reservoir with doser, big skimmer and chaeto. Controllers consist of cheap light timers and a ranco controller for heaters. I recently bought a small wavemaker with the fancy programmable settings.

I like having a system I can walk away from for a few days. The only thing I manually do daily is feed the fish and I can probably skip a couple days since they are well fed.

Some folks would say all the extras are unnecessary and can be achieved through manual daily dosing and weekly water changes and I won't disagree with that, BUT I have other things that take up my time and focus. If I can scratch off a manual task by automating it why not.

With that said you will have more failure points with gear. We went to Florida for 13 days last year and dosing pump tubing was due for replacement. I came back and noticed the kalk res hadn't emptied enough and Alk was under 7 when it had been ranging mid 8's. My two SPS frags died.

Naturalreef

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I travel for work, automation is the only way I can keep a Sps nano. Even if I was home all the time, I would keep the same level of automation.

I‘m heavily vested in Hydros and Focustronic. After seeing what they are both capable of, I wouldn’t run a tank without them.

That being said, automated does not mean easier. You have to maintain these machines weekly.

I’m a tech junkie, I love the gear as much as the livestock:)

BRS

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo my nano is 10x easier than my big tank. I haven’t done a wc in weeks. Looks great. Had dinos 2x knocked them out in weeks. Got a problem change 10 gallons.

I to it makes a difference if you use live rock vs dry rock to. Mine was a giant chunk from a local reefer and its been going for a few years.

But saying all that i have an apex on my big tank and am buying a used apex el today from a local reefer. :smirking-face:

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back