Dual return pump question

mmorrison55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m planning to have two returns on the back of the tank, and I am planning to go with a dual return pump set up in the sump as that seems to be the recommendation these days, however, I have not been able to find a lot of detail on exactly that should be accomplished. Also would like to have manifolds for reactors etc.

Assuming I have 130 gallon display and 40 gallon sump. (170 gallon total). And recommended turnover being 5 (850 gph) to 10 (1,700 gph) times.

My thoughts… please tell me if I am wrong.

Eventually I think I will add UV at some point. And I understand that you end different flow rates through the uv to fight different conditions., so using this as a starting point, would you:

1. Plumb each return pump to its own UV and adjust the rate of one to fight bacteria and the other for parasites, with the output ejecting at each of the tank returns. Would I need two pumps that could each support the 1700 or would you go smaller to share the volume load? My initial thought it to have two 150-2k rated pumps and just turn them down to get the flow I need for turnover and UV. And if they are running at say 1/2 or 1/4 capa, they should run easier and hopefully last longer than if I were running it at 100% most of the time. Not sure how to deal with the manifolds ion this set up. Thinking it would run 2 manifolds off each return line.

2. Have one UV, and use a controller to adjust the flow rate throughout the day so that it’s fighting both bacteria and parasites via the same UV. If I go this way, then would I plumb one pump to go thought the uv and then to the tank, and the other pump would support 4 manifolds . Same question applies to what pump size to use in this scenario

3. Just have one pump to do it all. The second pump would be kept in the box for emergency needs and during cleaning routines. The one pump would be oversized, like supporting 3k gph, and then adjust down as needed for uv and manifold use.

4. I’m totally way off and have no idea and you would suggest another route

Thanks for the input and feedback.

Mike

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would do a single return pump. If you do dual return pumps have dual return lines too. Would shot for around 5x display volume per hour. Would put the uv on a separate pump that’s rated for that uv’s gph and have it go into return chamber

OP
OP
M

mmorrison55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would do a single return pump. If you do dual return pumps have dual return lines too. Would shot for around 5x display volume per hour. Would put the uv on a separate pump that’s rated for that uv’s gph and have it go into return chamber
If I went this route, where would I draw from before I went to the pump/display? X ~> “uv pump” ~> UV ~> spills to return chamber ~> return pump ~> display tank. What/where is “x” in this scenario?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went this route, where would I draw from before I went to the pump/display? X ~> “uv pump” ~> UV ~> spills to return chamber ~> return pump ~> display tank. What/where is “x” in this scenario?
How will your sump be set up?
From tank to first section with protein skimmer, then refugium, then return section with pump back to tank?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if dual return pumps are the norm these days a lot has changed in the past few years. Dual return pumps are a total luxury.
You're able to accomplish the same with a well set up manifold and a strong pump.
I'm not saying my set up was the best going but I ran my UV off of a small submersible pump that required no additional plumbing past extending the inlet and outlet stemming right from the UV itself that was hanging right above my sump. Far cheaper, kept me immune from leaks and didn't require any elaborate preplan

OP
OP
M

mmorrison55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How will your sump be set up?
From tank to first section with protein skimmer, then refugium, then return section with pump back to tank?
Inlet (is that the right term for where the overflow drains to the sump?) draining into a fleece roller, into a large protein skimmer area, then likely a small filter/media chamber before the return pump area. I was planning to do an algae reactor off one of the manifolds instead of a refugium.

OP
OP
M

mmorrison55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if dual return pumps are the norm these days a lot has changed in the past few years. Dual return pumps are a total luxury.
You're able to accomplish the same with a well set up manifold and a strong pump.
I'm not saying my set up was the best going but I ran my UV off of a small submersible pump that required no additional plumbing past extending the inlet and outlet stemming right from the UV itself that was hanging right above my sump. Far cheaper, kept me immune from leaks and didn't require any elaborate preplany

I'm not saying my set up was the best going but I ran my UV off of a small submersible pump that required no additional plumbing past extending the inlet and outlet stemming right from the UV itself that was hanging right above my sump. Far cheaper, kept me immune from leaks and didn't require any elaborate preplan
The uv was fed by your return pump or a separate smaller pump? If separate, were you just going from return area of your sump ~> UV~> back into return pump area, then sucked into your return pump ~> to display ?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one system One larger DC pump feeding 2 returns and manifold on one of the returns and on other branch UV with gate valves to control flow through the uv.

Other system 2 DC returns Pumps one to each return one with a manifold then return to tank the second DC pump-UV- return to tank. can control flow through UV with DC pump.

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small dc pump for my uv, it goes from the same chamber as my return pump and then discharges into the display on the back on the tank with a small pvc elbow that sits just above the water line. I used a small length of pipe jnside the elbow that isn't glued so I can kind of adjust the level to keep it in the right spot if need be. I have been happy with thos set up.

OP
OP
M

mmorrison55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On one system One larger DC pump feeding 2 returns and manifold on one of the returns and on other branch UV with gate valves to control flow through the uv.

Other system 2 DC returns Pumps one to each return one with a manifold then return to tank the second DC pump-UV- return to tank. can control flow through UV with DC pump.
Your second setup sounds like my #1 option above except I was wondering if I could do both a UV on each return leg and also manifolds on each. Or would that be way too much for the return pump to handle?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uv was fed by your return pump or a separate smaller pump? If separate, were you just going from return area of your sump ~> UV~> back into return pump area, then sucked into your return pump ~> to display ?
It was a separate smaller pump that allowed an appropriate flow rate for the job i was hoping to accomplish, to eradicate dinos.
My sump layout: Inlet chamber/Refugium->Skimmer chamber->Return chamber
The UV hung from the underside of the stand above the sump and drew water from my skimmer chamber then discharged into the return chamber.
I no longer use the UV as it was a cheap tester, the quarts bulb went and in an effort to reduce the 20+ plugs down I omitted it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back