Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first saltwater tank a few days ago and it’s currently cycling.

I decided to go with dry rock that I bought from my LFS. I ended up just soaking the dry rock in ro water for about 30 minutes and then I let it dry in the sun before putting it into my tank. Which I know you can also let it soak for longer in a diffrent bin. There seemed to be a terrible smell that I’m now kind of realizing that it most likely was from the rock.

Is there any harm in leaving the rock in the display tank? I can’t tell if my apartment smells from it or not due to my allergies lol but the first day when I soaked/dryed it. I was nautious/headache most likely from the smell. Seem to be fine since then.

Also, I wanted to ask what these white lines are on the rock?

thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first saltwater tank a few days ago and it’s currently cycling.

I decided to go with dry rock that I bought from my LFS. I ended up just soaking the dry rock in ro water for about 30 minutes and then I let it dry in the sun before putting it into my tank. Which I know you can also let it soak for longer in a diffrent bin. There seemed to be a terrible smell that I’m now kind of realizing that it most likely was from the rock.

Is there any harm in leaving the rock in the display tank? I can’t tell if my apartment smells from it or not due to my allergies lol but the first day when I soaked/dryed it. I was nautious/headache most likely from the smell. Seem to be fine since then.

Also, I wanted to ask what these white lines are on the rock?

thanks!

View attachment 3116574 View attachment 3116576
The rock looks like it might have been live at one time. Maybe it wasn’t thoroughly cleaned by the seller.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have dead dry rock. I believe those white lines are spirinoid worm tubes. That rock should have been cured before placing in the tank. My suggestion is to pull it, chuck it in a flower bed and order some real ocean live rock. You will not regret it.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have dead dry rock. I believe those white lines are spirinoid worm tubes. That rock should have been cured before placing in the tank. My suggestion is to pull it, chuck it in a flower bed and order some real ocean live rock. You will not regret it.
Would you recommend doing a significant water change? If so how much? Wondering if I need to complete throw out everything and redo with new sand as well.

Think I’ll probably get

CaribSea LifeRock Dry Live Rock from Petsmart since it’s close and easy.​

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend doing a significant water change? If so how much? Wondering if I need to complete throw out everything and redo with new sand as well.

Think I’ll probably get

CaribSea LifeRock Dry Live Rock from Petsmart since it’s close and easy.​

Water change could not hurt. CaribSea LifeRock is not live rock, and not ocean live rock.

Ocean live rock is one of the keys to starting a tank. Look at Tampa Bay Saltwater or KP Aquatics. It is not cheap, but you will spend a lot more money and effort fighting algae in my humble opinion.

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you describe the smell that you noticed? Low tide rock pool, chemical, rotting fish?

Before you go nuclear, can you ask the LFS about the history / source of the rock? There do seem to be some signs that it may have previously been in another system but wouldn’t say they’re conclusive.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
logo8

logo8

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you describe the smell that you noticed? Low tide rock pool, chemical, rotting fish?

Before you go nuclear, can you ask the LFS about the history / source of the rock? There do seem to be some signs that it may have previously been in another system but wouldn’t say they’re conclusive.
I want to say it’s kind of like a a low tide/Sulfur smell from what I can tell. Again it’s hard to smell anything at the moment due to my sinus. Then there’s also the white worm things on the rock.

I called the LFS store and they said the smell would go away in 1-2 days if I’m running carbon which I am. But also that the rock should have been fine but I could swap it out for live rock.
It’s hard to tell if the smell has gotten better since I rinsed it on 4/15 due to my nose.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back