dosing nitrates and phosphate with reef roids?

Preston's_Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I dose nitrates and phosphates while target feeding my corals with reef roids, I have phosphates at 0ppm and nitrates at 0ppm.

I dose phyto twice a day(four capfuls total) and feed Mysis to fish twice a day.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, or just feed more. I personally use amino acids when nitrate is zero and just overfeed dry food when phosphate is zero. Maybe add some quality flake food into the diet. It would benefit everything.

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto in my experience will reduce nitrates and phosphates - for me one option could be adjust how many times you are dosing that. I usually just do it just before bed

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids and pellets will raise the PO4 easily and quickly… mine went from 0 to 0.2 in just a week and now I have to drop it by reversing feeding a lot less, carbon dosing to get it down to below 0.1.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I dose nitrates and phosphates while target feeding my corals with reef roids, I have phosphates at 0ppm and nitrates at 0ppm.

I dose phyto twice a day(four capfuls total) and feed Mysis to fish twice a day.

There are many different ways to ensure adequate nutrients, but doing at least one of them is a good plan, IMO.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IME I'd dose calcium nitrate to get the nitrate above 0 for sure, I'll shoot for 5ppm . Secondly I'd spot feed once a week and test the following 2 days and see if the po4 holds above .05, if it falls below that I'll just broadcast feed a small amount of reefroids and it'll keep the phosphate up to healthy levels. Anywhere between .05-.12ish is fine.

If you find or think by observation the tank is getting to polluted then add some neophos.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back