DONE WITH FILTER SOCKS >:O

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think im done guys! I have an All in One system so fleece rollers are not really an option for me. They are but not really. I tried filter cups with Polyfill but they clog up so dang fast. My 4 filter socks lasts me probably 2-3 days and thats just not sustainable. I run a refugium and a OK skimmer. My system is currently a very low nutrient system. Actually struggling to keep phosphates in the tank. I think im going to take the filter socks out and run no mechanical filtration for a bit to see how my system does. Does this sound crazy? Do i need some type of mechanical filtration aside from my skimmer? I noticed all the gunk clogs up on my socks and my skimmer doesn't have much opportunity to skim. I wish i could put my skimmer first in line then socks next but the chamber set up wont allow this config. Maybe ill cut down to 2 socks first to see how that goes and then if im still struggling with low nutrients, i'll completely eliminate filter socks? Does anyone else run no filter socks? How has it worked for you?

I would leave the filter socks in longer for the nutrients to build up but the problem is that it clogs up the chamber and really messes with my water level :(

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im done guys! I have an All in One system so fleece rollers are not really an option for me. They are but not really. I tried filter cups with Polyfill but they clog up so dang fast. My 4 filter socks lasts me probably 2-3 days and thats just not sustainable. I run a refugium and a OK skimmer. My system is currently a very low nutrient system. Actually struggling to keep phosphates in the tank. I think im going to take the filter socks out and run no mechanical filtration for a bit to see how my system does. Does this sound crazy? Do i need some type of mechanical filtration aside from my skimmer? I noticed all the gunk clogs up on my socks and my skimmer doesn't have much opportunity to skim. I wish i could put my skimmer first in line then socks next but the chamber set up wont allow this config. Maybe ill cut down to 2 socks first to see how that goes and then if im still struggling with low nutrients, i'll completely eliminate filter socks? Does anyone else run no filter socks? How has it worked for you?

I would leave the filter socks in longer for the nutrients to build up but the problem is that it clogs up the chamber and really messes with my water level :(
Hello, you will find a lot of people don't run any mechanical filtration. I'm one of them. I run a refugium and part time skimmer only. If you have coral, all of the particulates are food in my system.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats awesome. Do you struggle keeping nutrients down? Do you have an AIO as well?
Yes, I have an AIO. I don't struggle with keeping nutrients down. All the filter socks do was catch the matter, then it would break down into ammonia until I cleaned it (which wasn't often). IMO, they weren't worth the extra work.

JohnnyBlowfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your tank, InTank may have an option for you. I bought one of their products to eliminate the filter sock in my Waterbox. Works great. Now I can just run poly when needed.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it for a bit. I pulled both socks in my AIO and filled 2 filter cups with rubble. I didn't like how much debris floated around in the tank so now I just run 1 sock and 1 cup of rubble is still in place. It allows a path from tank to fuge back to tank without filtration but also a path to do some filtration and pull some debris out. I put the skimmer on the side after the sock.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time I put on socks is when I do water changes. I put them in blow off the rocks and little bit of the sand. After about 20 min I turn off the pumps do my water change and turn the pumps back on. Give it another 30 min then I remove the socks and clean them out and left air dry. I recently started up the chaeto again as my PO4 and NO3 are back up higher than I like. Have the lights on a 12hr reverse schedule but once my nutrients start to drop I will go down to 6-8 hours. I’m hoping I can maintain without dosing but if needed I have some to dose.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Reef Diaper filters

I have a nano roller mat, but I'm using 200mic rolls. So stuff gets through

It's satisfying pulling out a brown smelly filter and tossing it. My tank is overstocked though

Have a highly over rated skimmer for the tank as well

I wasn't done with filter socks, I was done washing them

jhadaway117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't like the socks my waterbox came with either, so I opted for an InTank media basket. Check out their website and I'm sure you'll find something that will work for your tank. I just use the black sponge type filters. They catch the larger debris well and all you have to do is rinse them out every so often.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using filter socks many years ago. When I upgraded to my current tank I bought a reefmat. It worked well, almost too well. I shut if off and now only run a skimmer and refugium on my tank.

PFFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like you're done with filter socks, at least for now but if you do decide to start using them again, try a higher micron like a 200. Most stores will sell 100 or below so they'll definitely clog faster and need to be changed out more frequently....which the stores like. The 200 will obviously allow a bit more to get through but will also last a lot longer and since your tank is already a low nutrient system, having them in there longer shouldn't be much of an issue. Just my 2 cents.

JMaccaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it for a bit on my tank but didn’t like how dirty my sump got.

I now use pool skimmer socks in my tank you can get 200 of them on Ali express for 50aud.

They don’t have a ring so I just cut the ring out of an old filter sock then put the skimmer sock over it like you would a pool skimmer basket.

Because they don’t have rings I chuck the used ones in a bucket then put them all in the washing machine when I am about to run out.

In my tank they will last about a week before needing to be changed.

shutterspeed1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it for a bit on my tank but didn’t like how dirty my sump got.

I now use pool skimmer socks in my tank you can get 200 of them on Ali express for 50aud.

They don’t have a ring so I just cut the ring out of an old filter sock then put the skimmer sock over it like you would a pool skimmer basket.

Because they don’t have rings I chuck the used ones in a bucket then put them all in the washing machine when I am about to run out.

In my tank they will last about a week before needing to be changed.
That is a great idea! Do they clean well?

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain with filter socks! Having to change mine daily is getting old. Just got a hand-me-down skimmer and feel that the filter socks may not be needed anymore. Maybe try an oversized skimmer instead?
20240923_104343.jpg

JMaccaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea! Do they clean well?
Yeah, they always come out of the washing machine completely clean; like other filter socks, they can get a bit stained after a while, but a bit of bleach fixes that.

They also pull plenty of gunk out of the tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back