Done With Filter Socks! Much Easier Way!

BRS

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tired of pulling out, cleaning in the washing machine, buying bleach, & replacing filter socks! Too much work!

Replaced filter socks with these inexpensive, 3D printed filter cups! Now I replace a small piece of filter floss once a week in just a couple of seconds.

Big thanks to @Projects with Sam who printed them for me!!! Especially since my sock size was non standard!

E212B78C-5162-48A0-87A5-0A30AE4DE107.jpeg

A43237F6-FEAD-4140-89C5-8A1D8B484706.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes maintenance a breeze. Wish I knew about them from the start!
On the other hand - When I was using filter socks - I merely rinsed them every week under high(er) pressure water - Never put them in a washing machine, etc.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand - When I was using filter socks - I merely rinsed them every week under high(er) pressure water - Never put them in a washing machine, etc.
This, my ex wife would curse and scream when I washed socks. It always was with my work uniforms so everything was about as bad as it can get, laundry wise.

Admittedly there is a small part of me that misses a wet/dry setup. Just swap the filter pad once a week on water change day.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, my ex wife would curse and scream when I washed socks. It always was with my work uniforms so everything was about as bad as it can get, laundry wise.

Admittedly there is a small part of me that misses a wet/dry setup. Just swap the filter pad once a week on water change day.
Did this get you out of doing the laundry????

Brillant!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this get you out of doing the laundry????

Brillant!
Nah I still did my own laundry in those days. Back then my stuff reeked of jet fuel as I worked in the engine shop rebuilding engines.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always washed my own uniforms. Knew where I splattered Refrigerant Oil on them, for pretreatment. BTW if you have an Air Compressor in your house, route PEX B, with Crimp rings to your washer/dryer room. By Blowing Pretreatment back and forth, through the Stain, it will eliminate the Stain, without damaging the fabrics. Also good for cleaning the Dryer with Air Jets, And I drain, check, and re-pressure my WellTrol Tank Twice a year. It’s in the same room.

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is there one for AIO 20gal Innovation Marine
I'd love to make one for the IM AIO20; Its just hard without an actual model handy to take measurements from.
I'm willing todo iterative design but the shipping adds up fast.

Corals.com

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So tired of pulling out, cleaning in the washing machine, buying bleach, & replacing filter socks! Too much work!

Replaced filter socks with these inexpensive, 3D printed filter cups! Now I replace a small piece of filter floss once a week in just a couple of seconds.

Big thanks to @Projects with Sam who printed them for me!!! Especially since my sock size was non standard!

View attachment 2992159
View attachment 2992160
Those look like they fit great! Is there a lot of wiggle? I mean do the cups slide around in the openings? I was worried I would make them too big. Must have been difficult to replace your socks.

Let me know if I should include a third larger template for the floss cutouts. I was thinking the use-case would be small filter on the bottom, then a ball of filter floss, then the larger filter pad disk just under the lip though how you have it now works pretty well and way easier to change the pad. could even do easier to cut squares and just lay them in!

Also, if you can recommend any improvements I'm all ears. I DIY'd a floss roller and havent looked back so am making these vicariously through others' needs.
When I used socks I used 200 micron mesh socks on a heavily stocked Cichlid tank; I would pressure-wash the socks every week or two to clean them.

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome! I'm so stoked when I can make someone's experience better!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'm so stoked when I can make someone's experience better!
These filter cups are Game Changers!!!

Anything that reduces maintenance time, means more time enjoying your aquarium!

Thank you!

Corals.com

jphilip813

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to make one for the IM AIO20; Its just hard without an actual model handy to take measurements from.
I'm willing todo iterative design but the shipping adds up fast.
PMing right now, I just went to your website...NICE options

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
PMing right now, I just went to your website...NICE options
Thanks!
I can also do colors. - if I don't have a color you want I may be able to get it.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like they fit great! Is there a lot of wiggle? I mean do the cups slide around in the openings? I was worried I would make them too big. Must have been difficult to replace your socks.

Let me know if I should include a third larger template for the floss cutouts. I was thinking the use-case would be small filter on the bottom, then a ball of filter floss, then the larger filter pad disk just under the lip though how you have it now works pretty well and way easier to change the pad. could even do easier to cut squares and just lay them in!

Also, if you can recommend any improvements I'm all ears. I DIY'd a floss roller and havent looked back so am making these vicariously through others' needs.
When I used socks I used 200 micron mesh socks on a heavily stocked Cichlid tank; I would pressure-wash the socks every week or two to clean them.
Excellent fit and finish on your work! The cups fit perfectly in the openings. I wouldn’t change any thing. Pretty soon I will have my main display tank upstairs feeding into the second filter cup.

Extra benefit - Thinking of putting my Oxydator underneath the cups to free up more room in the sump for my Refugium.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you have a red sea reefer tank? Didn't it come with a media cup? Mine came with a cup and socks.
The advantage with Sam’s 3D printed filter cup is that they are shorter than the Red Sea filter cups, giving you extra room in your sump for additional items.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back