Does your Python gravel vacuum work better than mine?

BRS

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Python gravel vac from my LFS a while ago, and the ball valve was broken right out of the package - It's wide open all the time. No big deal.

But I have noticed that it hardly has any suction power. I mean it won't even pick up small pieces of green film algae. It will go up the tube about halfway and then float back down to the sandbed.

I have taken every piece of the vacuum apart, made sure there were no obstructions, checked the condition/placement of the o-rings, and put everything back together tightly. Everything seems to be correct.

My question is...is this normal for the Python vac? If you have one, does it have good suction, or the same as mine? I'm wondering if I didn't get a turd right out of the package...

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because if you have a 75 foot long one are are trying to hook up to sink and pull water up a flight of stairs or to a sink about even it might be slower.

Upvote 1

MNFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do it to sink on same level it is slower seems to help to try to get the hose as straight as possible. Normally to speed it up I will just throw the hose out the door.

Upvote 1

ckuhny3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same thing. I bought the longer tube part thinking it would make life easier reaching the sandbed. Nope . Nothing ever makes it to the hose. And this is with water rushing into a bucket right below the tank

Upvote 2

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the ball valve was broken right out of the package - It's wide open all the time
This is the problem. When you adjust the valve, more suction is created due to water being pulled through the smaller opening.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the problem. When you adjust the valve, more suction is created due to water being pulled through the smaller opening.
The next time I do a 10% water change I’ll try closing it some and see what happens

Upvote 0

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, how do you know how many gallons you've removed with the python? Do you mark a line on the tank? Do just you have tons of saltwater ready to go so it doesn't matter?

Haven't used one since my freshwater days and there measuring the amount removed didn't really matter... It'd sure make things easier but this is where I get stuck when thinking about using one

Upvote 0

ckuhny3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, how do you know how many gallons you've removed with the python? Do you mark a line on the tank? Do just you have tons of saltwater ready to go so it doesn't matter?

Haven't used one since my freshwater days and there measuring the amount removed didn't really matter... It'd sure make things easier but this is where I get stuck when thinking about using one
I fill up 2 5 gallon buckets with the python. I have a sump pit right there but I use the buckets to measure 10 gallons taken out so I know it’s the same amount each week. Kind of archaic but it works

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about water pressure at the sink.
When I first got mine, the kitchen sink didn't have that great of water pressure ( normal for a kitchen sink) so I went to my bath tub. I had to swap out the faucet to accept the python fitting, but once I did, it worked a lot better. But the down side was it left sand and detritus in the tub. I caught hell from my wife if I forgot to clean it out after I used it.
Now I have a slop sink in my garage with great water pressure.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the sink to start the syphon then the hose goes into the bathtub which is low enough to create a good syphon. I would never use the sink to continously run and draw water out. Thats is just too much water wasted. I feel I waste enough with my RO waste. If I'm syphoning into a bucket I wouldn't even bother with the python and faucet just get a cheap gravel vac and use that.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the sink to start the syphon then the hose goes into the bathtub which is low enough to create a good syphon. I would never use the sink to continously run and draw water out. Thats is just too much water wasted. I feel I waste enough with my RO waste. If I'm syphoning into a bucket I wouldn't even bother with the python and faucet just get a cheap gravel vac and use that.

Agree, I don’t use the sink part and just use gravity which works great. I don’t want to just be pouring water down the drain for a small amount of increased ease of use.

I was also able to get the python and a hose for fraction of the cost by skipping the whole sink attachment kit and I don’t have suction problems using gravity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I removed a 5 gallon buckets worth of water and made a line, then again with 10 gallons.

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back