Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Acan about 2 weeks ago. It doesn’t look so great and it hasn’t been improving. It appears to be receding and just seems generally unhappy. Last night, before lights out, I noticed this weird thing on the edge of it and I watched it for a few minutes. I didn’t see it move at all, however, it was gone when I woke up this morning. I’m sorry it’s a bad pic, it was the best I could get. Any ideas?

3D60AD20-8491-442F-AC2C-43FC01DA5579.jpeg

AS

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess an Aquilonastra sp. starfish. You might find it if you lift up the plug. (See my post, #11, here.) Keep in mind corals can have a problem long before they show any outward change in apperance. It does look pretty brown which may be from too low a light level.

OP
OP
athenagrace

athenagrace

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess an Aquilonastra sp. starfish. You might find it if you lift up the plug. (See my post, #11, here.) Keep in mind corals can have a problem long before they show any outward change in apperance. It does look pretty brown which may be from too low a light level.
Thank you! I hope that is the case and not something else. I will try moving the Acan up a bit. This is my first Acan and all of my research stressed that they didn’t like too much light, I may have overestimated.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
athenagrace

athenagrace

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully that's the case as bacterial infections can also cause browning. :/ Whatever you do be patient. Moving a coral causes it to adjust to new condutions and moving it too frequently doesn't allow it to acclimate.
Should I try dipping it, or could that make the situation worse?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it alone. It takes time for corals to adjust to new situations, especially after being moved to different tanks and shipping and handling. Dipping works fine for external parasites but I haven't seen anything that shows it has any effect on microbial populations in coral surface mucus layers. Furthermore I seriously doubt any dipping regimen currently being used would only target detrimantal species and leave the beneficial ones alone. Here's some links you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back