Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My first post! I've read that corals need some sort of substrate (i.e. calcium for SPS) to build up their bodies to grow, so do zoas & palys need sand to grow? Without sand in the tank, can zoas still grow?

On a serious note, will a zoa patch with no where else to grow wind up going insane and blow up?

Corals.com

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My first post! I've read that corals need some sort of substrate (i.e. calcium for SPS) to build up their bodies to grow, so do zoas & palys need sand to grow? Without sand in the tank, can zoas still grow?

On a serious note, will a zoa patch with no where else to grow wind up going insane and blow up?
They don't seem to care in my experience.

AquaCave Logo Banner

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First, welcome to the reef!

Zoas and palys will both grow on whatever surface is available glass, rock, sand, dead coral skeletons, concrete skulls… anything! Palys will sometimes glue very fine grains of sand to their stems which is a good way to ID a paly from a zoa.

There is pretty much no way to trap a zoa patch with nowhere else to go. It will outgrow other corals and smother them or be killed trying. This often leads to the release of palytoxin which in large quantities can be harmful (IME, this has never happened).

I do recommend growing them on crushed coral or live rock rubble so they are easy to frag if you’re going for a natural look. If you’re not, directly on the bottom glass has worked out magnificently for me. Removal/colony maintenance is very easy and it looks great.

Happy reefing!! :D

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!! and zoas can grow just about anywhere. A lot of people will have their rocks decorated with them or spread around their sand or bottom part of the tank. All depends on where you want them to grow!

kukawskim80

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope! Just give they some light and good water parameters, then watch them grow

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back