+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I need help figuring out what to do here. I have this tenuis that's been growing this film/string substance. I'm able to blow some of it off everyday but it quickly grows back overnight. This has started probably for the past 5-6 days and only on this one acro. I haven't noticed anything on the sand or rocks similar to this. I haven't seen this on any other coral in the tank.

DSC06508.jpg

DSC06509.jpg

DSC06511.jpg

Some things I've started in the last few weeks:
  • Around May 5th - Installed a used UV Filter: I'm afraid I may have made a mistake with this not cleaning it inside before starting it up. Not sure if there was some bad bacteria growing in this while it was sitting.
  • May 11 - Setup new light bars to supplement my lights. I have it hung high and been slowly acclimating the tank to the new lights since then
  • May 18 - Added 2 new wrasse into an acclimation box with a few handfuls of new special grade caribsea live sand inside
  • May 21 - Started dosing phytofeast (I've stopped this as 2 days ago)
My parameters:
  • Alk: 8.59
  • Ca: 425
  • Mg: 1430
  • P04: .05
  • N03: 11.5

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Avast
OP
OP
MAB Reef

MAB Reef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots are unfortunately probably dead. I would cut off the top of the tenuis to stop it from progressing. Did you have an alk spike recently or anything?
Thanks, you're right. Looking at the tip, there's no polyp. The problem is it's also spreading on live parts of the acro too. All parameters have been consistent. I test alk 4x a day with a trident.

I found out this may be dinoflaggelates. I'm starting to see it on other coral unfortunately. I have a microscope coming in today to find out what type it is so I know what course of action to take. I found a couple dinoflaggelates support groups on Facebook that have some methods to treat. Will update this as I go along.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pirates Reef Corals
Back