Do you trust Kasa smart strip to use as a timing for Kalkwasser doses?

BRS
AS

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no. Same applies to all "smart" plugs. They can be finicky and unreliable. Some are better than others but none are more reliable as physically connected hardware. They will fail you given a long enough timeline.

Coxey81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you use the Kasa Smart Power Strip?

I use it on my tank and noticed it has a timer feature. Thoughts on whether this is a trust worthy option to use with a doser for Kalkwasser? Anyone doing it?

Thanks!!
Not for dosing. I use mine for chaeto light timer though and for voice commands to cut stuff on and off.

Had a friend that used it to turn two dumb wavemakers on and off to generate pulse waves. It actually worked for him for bout a year, but then he saw my Neros and decided to upgrade. But I don't think it ever failed him. I wouldn't try if they don't have solid state relays though.

Nutramar Foods

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHome Smart Power Strip, 3 USB Ports and 3 Individually Controlled Smart Outlets, WiFi Surge Protector Works with Alexa Google Home, Home Office Cruise Ship Travel Multi-Plug Extender Flat Plug, 10A https://a.co/d/2zi9gOb

I use this one. I use the timers for delaying the skimmer etc. It's pretty reliable so far. Would I trust it with kalk where if it fails the tank dies? Idk

Coxey81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHome Smart Power Strip, 3 USB Ports and 3 Individually Controlled Smart Outlets, WiFi Surge Protector Works with Alexa Google Home, Home Office Cruise Ship Travel Multi-Plug Extender Flat Plug, 10A https://a.co/d/2zi9gOb

I use this one. I use the timers for delaying the skimmer etc. It's pretty reliable so far. Would I trust it with kalk where if it fails the tank dies? Idk

Like delaying the skimmer when you cut pumps off to feed? I need to do that cause I always have to cut my skimmer off, then pump, then wait and cut skimmer back on.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like delaying the skimmer when you cut pumps off to feed? I need to do that cause I always have to cut my skimmer off, then pump, then wait and cut skimmer back on.
Yes exactly. Have a "routine" that kills it, waits x time, then fires it back up with one button. Pretty convenient imo

Top Shelf Aquatics

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also (while I'm here lol) I've found you can trash most smart device apps and just use the 'Smart Life' app. I believe most brands' apps are just using the Smart Life api on the back end so if you have 5 different brand devices for instance, you can just use Smart Life for them all... I control two different brands with mine

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasas are solid strips. Use them for a lot of semi-automated features like water changes.
I created scripts that turns everything off, turns on a pump in my sump that pumps out 50 gallons, turns a pump on in my FSW bin that pumps 50 gallons back into the sump and then turns everything back on. I oversee all of this but it’s worked flawlessly for a couple of years now. Would I trust it for dosing? Probably not. I have a dosing pump that handles that and it’s easier to dose actual quantities of supplements than try to figure out it needs to turn on for 5 secs and then shutoff. I think for that reason vs. reliability I wouldn’t use it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
GHL Advanced Technology
Back