Do you have a particular coral you cannot keep?

BRS

TheDuude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unable to keep torches alive for more than a couple months and have success with pretty much everything else. Acros, Montis, Gonis, acans,zoas, frogs and hammers all do great and are growing. Torches ALWAYS die the same way.. slow tissue recession and slowly getting smaller every day until dead and I have tried many.

Do others out there have a specific coral that you want and just cannot seem to keep alive?

Corals.com

thomas_neil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unable to keep torches alive for more than a couple months and have success with pretty much everything else. Acros, Montis, Gonis, acans,zoas, frogs and hammers all do great and are growing. Torches ALWAYS die the same way.. slow tissue recession and slowly getting smaller every day until dead and I have tried many.

Do others out there have a specific coral that you want and just cannot seem to keep alive?
I also cant keep torches. I struggle with torches, frogspawn, and hammers, but can keep any other lps alive.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis, I can't keep them alive. I bought a colony from a local reefer, about the size of a baseball, and it just slowly fades. I got a couple more frags and same thing, polyps don't extend very far and they just slowly fade away.

I keep everything else, acros/hammer/favia/platygyra/acans, so I just don't keep gonis right now.

OP
OP
TheDuude

TheDuude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis, I can't keep them alive. I bought a colony from a local reefer, about the size of a baseball, and it just slowly fades. I got a couple more frags and same thing, polyps don't extend very far and they just slowly fade away.

I keep everything else, acros/hammer/favia/platygyra/acans, so I just don't keep gonis right now.
I have struggled with Gonis but found that if i purchase aquacultured frags I have had success.

AS

bigbugoutfitters

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP. Ive got everything from mushrooms to acros that do fine in my tank but ive tried two gsp islands that just never thrive.
chris jericho what GIF by CBC

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP. Ive got everything from mushrooms to acros that do fine in my tank but ive tried two gsp islands that just never thrive.
chris jericho what GIF by CBC
I wish gsp didn’t grow in my tank. I probably have close to 8 square feet of gsp and it’s just a matter of time until it takes over everything.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches I haven’t been able to keep alive so far. Many others have died but it was because of mistakes, whereas torches died when others were doing fine.
Its your flow. When my flow was higher for my SPS in a mixed reef tank my torches struggled. Flow is a lot lower now and torches growing new heads constantly. SPS also doing fine with reduced flow.

OP
OP
TheDuude

TheDuude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its your flow. When my flow was higher for my SPS in a mixed reef tank my torches struggled. Flow is a lot lower now and torches growing new heads constantly. SPS also doing fine with reduced flow.
I do agree low flow is usually best but I don't think flow is my issue. I have tried torch frags in high flow and low flow spots of my tank and they always slowly fade away. They look fantastic and full for maybe 2 weeks then start a decline from there.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back