Do these zoas have fun names? (another zoa ID thread...)

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got 3 really cool zoas from the LFS but didn't have name labels. So though I feel silly asking for their silly retail names I would still kind of like to know:
These I couldn't find anything close to a name: They have a very lined green center with orange tentacles
IMG_5965.jpeg

Star foxx zoas kind of fits these:
IMG_2996.jpeg

These are a lot like bloodsuckers but with a dark purple center that bloodsuckers don't have:
IMG_2999.jpeg

Sorry for wasting anyones times!:)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those cost me a pretty penny:
But I think the 3 new ones are much prettier! Though much much much cheaper.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those cost me a pretty penny:
But I think the 3 new ones are much prettier! Though much much much cheaper.

I remember when those were like $15 for 10 polyps lol its insane how much those went up.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when those were like $15 for 10 polyps lol its insane how much those went up.
Yeah. They were 60$ when I bought them but in two months they've gone from like 5 heads to ~30. Kind of wish I'd put them on something more fragable.

Top Shelf Aquatics

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all the same...

Super ultra Rare Astro Funk Flying Purple Hog Splitters.

Just different colors...

Funny i would see this thread!

collins.jason.k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny i would see this thread!
Haha. I haven't been in the hobby long and I think this whole name marketing thing with coral is just insane. I understand people wanting to make money and marketing, but some of the naming makes me laugh. I poke fun at it alot.

AquaCave Logo Banner

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@Steven Garland has it for 1 and 3. Number 2 is a 'ring of fire' or 'chemical romance,' both names are widely recognized. In case you're wondering these differ from Alpha and Omegas because they lack blue.

As for the Star Foxx ID, it'm not looking to pick a fight with TSA but they name and rebrand a lot of existing stuff so those names are not necessarily widely recognized (or the best ID). They've got a few different pics on google images of strains they're selling as Star Foxx. One is the 'ring of fire' strain the other would more correctly be called a 'Punk Rocker' which is 1) a bucket strain (many morphs, all inherently the same), 2) well-traveled and hence widely recognized zoa.

People can take the name game as seriously as they want, at the end of the day it's only useful if we're somewhat consistent with well known strains.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steven Garland has it for 1 and 3. Number 2 is a 'ring of fire' or 'chemical romance,' both names are widely recognized. In case you're wondering these differ from Alpha and Omegas because they lack blue.

As for the Star Foxx ID, it'm not looking to pick a fight with TSA but they name and rebrand a lot of existing stuff so those names are not necessarily widely recognized (or the best ID). They've got a few different pics on google images of strains they're selling as Star Foxx. One is the 'ring of fire' strain the other would more correctly be called a 'Punk Rocker' which is 1) a bucket strain (many morphs, all inherently the same), 2) well-traveled and hence widely recognized zoa.

People can take the name game as seriously as they want, at the end of the day it's only useful if we're somewhat consistent with well known strains.
Thanks! Neither of those are a perfect match but Ring of Fire is definitely the closest. Its certainly a zoa unlike others I've seen.

AS

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks! Neither of those are a perfect match but Ring of Fire is definitely the closest. Its certainly a zoa unlike others I've seen.

They really are a pretty zoa. I like to keep them next to daisy cutters/stargazers because they compliment each other so well.

As for zoas at large it's seldomly ever a direct 1:1 match outside of zoas with very distinct traits (ie rastas). Really all three of your zoas are bucket strains that all contain various iterations of the same named zoa (ergo the same defining characteristics). It's always just that tipping point in specificity where a name becomes no longer useful and becomes a source of derision.

Anyhow, all three should do great for you!

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got 3 really cool zoas from the LFS but didn't have name labels. So though I feel silly asking for their silly retail names I would still kind of like to know:
These I couldn't find anything close to a name: They have a very lined green center with orange tentacles
View attachment 3050313

View attachment 3050314

These are a lot like bloodsuckers but with a dark purple center that bloodsuckers don't have:
View attachment 3050315

1. Zoanthus vietnamensis
2. Zoanthus sansibaricus
3. Zoanthus either vietnamensis or kuroshio

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@littlebigreef could you help me out again? I got another two zoas from my LFS

First I'm confident are Punk rockers
IMG_6653.jpeg

But second? They have a white center. Two red circles on a black background and green tentacles.
IMG_6652.jpeg

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3050313

View attachment 3050314

View attachment 3050315

I’ve got the perfect name for them buddy!:

“Not fake advertisement Zoanthids” ;)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back