Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends! Do sinularia spread rapidly or become invasive like kenya trees or GSP can?

Thank you!
Honestly, it depends on the species but I’ve generally found most of them aren’t too bad with spreading they just love to grow big.

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True @i cant think. But large sinularia can and will send out toxins while brushing up against other close by corals. That seems to have an adverse effect on other corals and their growth.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True @i cant think. But large sinularia can and will send out toxins while brushing up against other close by corals. That seems to have an adverse effect on other corals and their growth.
Do you think that includes the stocks or just the branches? I have zoas covering the stocks on mine.

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that includes the stocks or just the branches? I have zoas covering the stocks on mine.
I’m quite sure that toxins come from the polyps. Re: your zoanthids, Zoas and Palythoas can contain palytoxins. If you’re concerned at all and wish to separate them. Be careful not to expose them to higher temps (like cutting or fragging under your tank lights) this can stress them out and bring on the release of toxins.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m quite sure that toxins come from the polyps. Re: your zoanthids, Zoas and Palythoas can contain palytoxins. If you’re concerned at all and wish to separate them. Be careful not to expose them to higher temps (like cutting or fragging under your tank lights) this can stress them out and bring on the release of toxins.
Thanks. I'm aware of zoa and palys having toxin. Very few of those subspecies in the trade may have toxins though so not overly concerned. I was just wondering if zoas climbing on the sinularia stock was result in turpenes being released into the water.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Friends! Do sinularia spread rapidly or become invasive like kenya trees or GSP can?

Thank you!
Mine of two years stay in one spot. Now for Kenyii - Just a nightmare. They drop shoots and spread everywhere.
The toxins as with many leathers are low level but seem to bother some SPS coral

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back