Do Noo-Psyche lights not work on mesh networks?

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I ordered a k7 mini and k7 pro v3 and I’m trying to hook them up through Lan mode (I hate having to change networks in AP mode every time I want to connect to the light and switch back when I’m done) but no matter how many times I try I get a timeout error when trying to connect through LAN. I’m hitting save after the blue lights are flashing as instructed in their video and it just doesn’t work.

is it because I’m using an eero mesh network somehow? The instructions say it needs 2.4G and my network is supposed to work with both 2.4 and 5G devices. I’ve heard of AI primes not working on mesh networks but my old one has always worked fine on it (local and the cloud).

I’m getting a bit frustrated trying to figure this out lol. I can’t find anything online about it other than someone else that posted a thread about the same issue and they never got it working either. Any ideas on how can I make these dang things work in LAN mode?

AquaCave Logo Banner

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many aquarium devices that require only 2.4 you will probably have to separate the 2.4 from the 5 and give it a different ssid. If you can’t, and your router has an extra Ethernet port, you can add a dedicated 2.4 ssid for aquarium stuff using this as an access point.

NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX3700 - Coverage Up to 1000 Sq Ft and 15 Devices with AC750 Dual Band Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater (Up to 750Mbps Speed), and Compact Wall Plug Design https://a.co/15cOHHJ

I’m sure others in here can be if more help. I’m no expert.

OP
OP
T

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I’ll see if I can split them up. Of course I forgot my gateway login so I’ll probably have to factory reset the modem now lol.

so if it doesn’t work. And since my modem/router is set to bridge mode for the mesh network to run properly. I can’t use an extender can I? I would need a new router/network hooked up to the original via Ethernet port instead?

Avast

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the Wi-Fi version of the Noopsyche lights (yet at least I’m waiting on delivery) but I also have a mesh network that does not allow me to have separate frequencies. One thing that I’ve used to get equipment that requires 2.4 connected is to move the equipment farther away from my closest connection point for setup so that hopefully it has to use the 2.4ghz frequency because the 5 is too weak of a signal.

I will hopefully get my light sometime this week and I’ll let you know if I was able to connect it to my netgear Orbi mesh system.

OP
OP
T

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the Wi-Fi version of the Noopsyche lights (yet at least I’m waiting on delivery) but I also have a mesh network that does not allow me to have separate frequencies. One thing that I’ve used to get equipment that requires 2.4 connected is to move the equipment farther away from my closest connection point for setup so that hopefully it has to use the 2.4ghz frequency because the 5 is too weak of a signal.

I will hopefully get my light sometime this week and I’ll let you know if I was able to connect it to my netgear Orbi mesh system.
Interesting idea thanks! I might have to give that a try. i can make separate ssid names in the modem/router but I’m not sure how the mesh system will work with it. I can maybe set up the mesh under 2.4 only first and then merge them back together under the original 2.4 name and hope it continues to connect lol.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea thanks! I might have to give that a try. i can make separate ssid names in the modem/router but I’m not sure how the mesh system will work with it. I can maybe set up the mesh under 2.4 only first and then merge them back together under the original 2.4 name and hope it continues to connect lol.
AFAIK (I’m am far from any kind of networking expert) on my mesh system there is no way to separate or turn off one of the two frequencies. I had trouble connecting my kamoer pumps when I got them. I actually ended up taking them outside to set them up and it seemed to work, it could’ve been coincidence though, but may be worth a try if nothing else works.

underwaterjr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. I have google wifi mesh. I had to unplug the closest hub to my tank and walk outside so my phone switched to 2.4 instead of 5ghz. Unplugging the closest hub just helped to maintain 2.4 on my phone. I used the app to confirm my phone was in 2.4 and then it connected fine, and now the link has been established it doesn't matter if my phone is on 5ghz and lights on 2.4 the app connection works great. You have to be on the same wifi for connection, you can't access lights from somewhere else just an FYI

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. I have google wifi mesh. I had to unplug the closest hub to my tank and walk outside so my phone switched to 2.4 instead of 5ghz. Unplugging the closest hub just helped to maintain 2.4 on my phone. I used the app to confirm my phone was in 2.4 and then it connected fine, and now the link has been established it doesn't matter if my phone is on 5ghz and lights on 2.4 the app connection works great. You have to be on the same wifi for connection, you can't access lights from somewhere else just an FYI
I live in an apartment I can't get my phone to not connect to 5g so I've just been using the AP mode but that gets annoying.

underwaterjr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apartment I can't get my phone to not connect to 5g so I've just been using the AP mode but that gets annoying.
Shoot. Kind of a hassle but my only work around would be to take the master light (if you have more than one) and your phone far enough away to force 2.4ghz. down the hall or stairs and plug in the lights when your phone has switched to 2.4ghz. I know a giant PTA, but only idea I have for you. Once connected to LAN it will totally be worth it. I don't change my settings anymore but still nice to just open app and connect without having to go into wifi settings.

Avast
OP
OP
T

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok sweet, I was thinking I’d have to unplug the hubs as well if I went that route. And it looks like I’ll be giving it a try next. It just doesn’t like the mesh system at all haha. even if I had it setup through a 2.4G ssid.

2.4g off the modem/router and it connected right away lol. But the mesh acts up when the modem/router is unbridged so I can’t go this route.

OP
OP
T

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot. Kind of a hassle but my only work around would be to take the master light (if you have more than one) and your phone far enough away to force 2.4ghz. down the hall or stairs and plug in the lights when your phone has switched to 2.4ghz. I know a giant PTA, but only idea I have for you. Once connected to LAN it will totally be worth it. I don't change my settings anymore but still nice to just open app and connect without having to go into wifi settings.
I’d also imagine it fixes the time shift automatically after a power outage which would be nice.

On my freshwater tank I have a Fluval 3.0 led light and I have to connect to it almost weekly to fix the time on it. It’s super annoying lol. The k7 should start where it left off at least which is better. The Fluval light kept the schedule but the time would reset to 00:00 from a power flicker.

underwaterjr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sweet, I was thinking I’d have to unplug the hubs as well if I went that route. And it looks like I’ll be giving it a try next. It just doesn’t like the mesh system at all haha. even if I had it setup through a 2.4G ssid.

2.4g off the modem/router and it connected right away lol. But the mesh acts up when the modem/router is unbridged so I can’t go this route.
Hmm not sure on that one. Mine has been flawless on my mesh after initial connection problems. Keeping time has been spot on, except at daylight savings time the slave light stayed on old time and master went to new time but easily fixed by clicking to manual they both synced and then back to program and all has been good.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that. Thanks.

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I ordered a k7 mini and k7 pro v3 and I’m trying to hook them up through Lan mode (I hate having to change networks in AP mode every time I want to connect to the light and switch back when I’m done) but no matter how many times I try I get a timeout error when trying to connect through LAN. I’m hitting save after the blue lights are flashing as instructed in their video and it just doesn’t work.

is it because I’m using an eero mesh network somehow? The instructions say it needs 2.4G and my network is supposed to work with both 2.4 and 5G devices. I’ve heard of AI primes not working on mesh networks but my old one has always worked fine on it (local and the cloud).

I’m getting a bit frustrated trying to figure this out lol. I can’t find anything online about it other than someone else that posted a thread about the same issue and they never got it working either. Any ideas on how can I make these dang things work in LAN mode?
Go into the eero app, and you can turn off 5ghz for like 10 minutes. Finish setting up, and it'll work fine.

It's not a mesh issue. It's a 5ghz issue.

oreo54

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into the eero app, and you can turn off 5ghz for like 10 minutes. Finish setting up, and it'll work fine.

Reference .
Screenshot_20221113-154742.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
T

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

got excited to try this one since it’s so simple lol. Didn’t know it was hidden in the troubleshooting section.

unfortunately it still seems to time out when I tried this.

underwaterjr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got excited to try this one since it’s so simple lol. Didn’t know it was hidden in the troubleshooting section.

unfortunately it still seems to time out when I tried this.
Got one more trick for you to try maybe hard reset lights with buttons and try one more time and good luck.

OP
OP
T

Tathamet

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one more trick for you to try maybe hard reset lights with buttons and try one more time and good luck.

Thanks, Still no luck. I’ll have to find an extension cord and try at the end of the driveway or something lol (signal is strong in the backyard). Been saving this method till last cause it’s gonna look weird standing down there beaming these super bright lights in my face haha.

Top Shelf Aquatics

emmysnewtank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Still no luck. I’ll have to find an extension cord and try at the end of the driveway or something lol (signal is strong in the backyard). Been saving this method till last cause it’s gonna look weird standing down there beaming these super bright lights in my face haha.
did you get this to work? I’m Having same issue connecting to the k7 mini.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back