DIY Sump Question

epage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I have built my own sump with a baffle kit. I’ve attached a photo. I will be using soft tubing. What is a good way to keep the hoses held down into the sump? i.e., not able to be pushed out by water pressure, knocked out, etc.

IMG_5478.jpeg

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make your next DIY sump send me a PM

I'll give you some hints, tips and tricks

I don't think the clips he posted will do what you're asking

Maybe make some acrylic holders, with your left over acrylic. You will want to get a heat gun to bend the acrylic over the lip of the sump tank. And just drill a hole through it, put your tubing through the hole

I'll doodle you a sketch if you can't visualize this

I have loose silicone tubing coming into the sump. Just make sure it's the heavy guage kind, and there is a lot of slack so it doesn't flip out of the tank(tip near the bottom)

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need to see a picture of your plumbing. On my tank I used a section of flexible hose from the pump, to the hard plumbing of the tank. I used one clamp where the hose attached to the pump, and one where it connected to the hard plumbing

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's got a floppy hose going here

He wants to know how to keep it there

So it doesn't flop out on accident and drain on his floor
1000003615.jpg

There hose connected to the pump is not going to do that. That's not his problem

biznatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make the soft pipe longer so you have to physically bend it to get it out of the sump.

And for those plastic hose clamps, I was using those on my return. 2 of them actually, and woke up at 2 am to find the pump had popped those hose off and sprayed half my sump onto the floor. I switched to a small piece of PVC on the return until it was higher than the sump water level, then used a hose barb/metal hose clamp and haven't had issues since.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely use those clamps on return pumps and fittings

Two on the return pump even

A better practice reefer has an assortment of those is all the sizes, in a drawer somewhere. Best practice would be to hard plumb everything, which I don't do

OP
OP
epage

epage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's got a floppy hose going here

He wants to know how to keep it there

So it doesn't flop out on accident and drain on his floor
1000003615.jpg

There hose connected to the pump is not going to do that. That's not his problem
Absolutely what I was asking. I was having a hard time putting my question into words I guess, lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back