DIY screen lids? Share yours or a link!

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing research and I know going to Home Depot or Lowe's and getting the screen repair kit is the best and cheapest option. however what mesh size should I look for, what color, and what is the best to not block PAR? Also, what are we using to hold the screen in the square to make the lid? I have a 180 and on other tanks, I have had glass lids and HATE cleaning them, I also want to try something new this go around. is there a certain border to buy that won't rust? are there plastic options? which of the types holds up best?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum frame kit and 1/4 in plastic mesh. You do not want to use window screen. It will block light an get covered in dust /dirt over time. I made some for my 180 but wasn't really happy with the look and ended up open top but I don't keep fish that are known to jump.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum frame kit and 1/4 in plastic mesh. You do not want to use window screen. It will block light an get covered in dust /dirt over time. I made some for my 180 but wasn't really happy with the look and ended up open top but I don't keep fish that are known to jump.
alumnium frame kit is all bueno to unbox and put on or do you have to paint over it and cure it?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4128.jpeg

Here’s what it looks like. I don’t remember the exact brand of it, just some basic one I got at Home Depot. I’ve had it for around a year now with no issues.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back