Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful and don't run the diatom filter too long. They can really strip the water. Use a timer and run periodically. It will make the water crystal clear. They were commonly used to clean cloudy bacteria laden water in the 70s and 80s.

Nutramar Foods

Porpoise Hork

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's already an inexpensive device on the market that's sized for most aquarium plumbing that will work very well for this. Well provided an ultra fine filter can be sourced.

Take a look at the Rusko 1" sediment spin down filter. It's setup perfectly for either drain side or return side installation. And it's cheap too, with prices ranging from $45-65. It will not work for bacterial removal with the normal screens, but for larger solids it should perform well. If a micron sized screen can be found for it then it could pull out bacteria as well as other contaminates. Plus with this design there's no need for a catch basin like a vortex separator will need.

https://www.isopurewater.com/Rusco-...ilter-with-Flush-Valve_p_7417.html?redirect=1

Addicted2Coral

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Irrelevant but input, I've had 2 friends beat dinos with a 3 day black out and a daily 1ml per 10 gallon peroxide dose directly to the sump for a week.He did the dosing for one week once a day at night when they are free floating in the water column.

mibwb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were commonly used to clean cloudy bacteria laden water in the 70s and 80s.

What's OLD is New again...I used them on my freshwater tanks, I bought them used..early 2000. They quit making them (factory burned down) years ago. But I saw on ebay new ones for sale...maybe they're making them again.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Kscope

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Irrelevant but input, I've had 2 friends beat dinos with a 3 day black out and a daily 1ml per 10 gallon peroxide dose directly to the sump for a week.He did the dosing for one week once a day at night when they are free floating in the water column.

I have used this same method but I blacked out 3 days while dosing peroxide and it got rid of most of it. Blacked out again two weeks later for 5 days while dosing peroxide and ALL GONE! It is hard to black out for 5 days though. You just wanna peak...NO TOUCHIE!

Lee adams

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my very low tech 3 chamber swirl solid seperater..Very easy DIY project that I designed and have been using for quite a few months now...Not suitable for everyone of course but for me,it's the most efficient sediment,detrius removing filter I have ever built.
All waste released once a month or whenever I feel like doing a NSW change.
I started a thread about this before with little to no response...It is what it is I guess!
Happy to share one more time in case it helps a member out .

20221118_124651.jpg 20221120_130316.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back