Diy aquabus cables using slimrun ethernet?

slythy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know of the power draw of a pm1 or any module? Im planning on running a diy aquabus cable to my garage 50 ft away from the tank but want to use slimrun ethernet which is 28awg wire. Anyone see any potential issues? I should be fine up until ~1.4 amps so it should be ok?

CLICK TO VIEW

theatrus

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of the power draw of a pm1 or any module? Im planning on running a diy aquabus cable to my garage 50 ft away from the tank but want to use slimrun ethernet which is 28awg wire. Anyone see any potential issues? I should be fine up until ~1.4 amps so it should be ok?

I wouldn't run 1.4A over 28AWG over 50ft, the voltage drop would be huge.

The good news is from the circuit, I expect the PM1 to be about 50-100mA max.

Note that aquabus does technically use shielded USB cables, and ethernet is not a shieleded cable, but the shields aren't ideal on the Aquabus boards so this isn't likely to cause any problems from the lack of the shield.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't run 1.4A over 28AWG over 50ft, the voltage drop would be huge.

The good news is from the circuit, I expect the PM1 to be about 50-100mA max.

Note that aquabus does technically use shielded USB cables, and ethernet is not a shieleded cable, but the shields aren't ideal on the Aquabus boards so this isn't likely to cause any problems from the lack of the shield.

Yea I was going on max current 28awg could support but you are right in that the vdrop would be pretty substantial if amps were high. I wouldnt see why a PMX without sensors and only using the IO port would be any higher than 100ma either just didnt know what power draw was.

BRS
OP
OP
slythy

slythy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@theatrus

I am going to build the cable now using some ends and slim run ethernet. I can double up the 28awg to make effectively a 25 awg wire or I can run one of the wires to the shell of the connector. There is no sheilding and Im thinking it will be less than a 50ft run. Do you think I should get a shield or have any concerns? This Aquabus cable will only be powering 1 PM1.

Thoughts?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back