Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am new to saltwater and I’m thinking of starting up a tank. I have freshwater tanks rn and I’m wondering if I can use the same dechlorinator to convert tap water into water for freshwater fish, but with saltwater. Meaning I would add the salt to the dechlorinated water. Would that work the same way as using distilled water in a salt water tank? Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Terry Mattson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice is to purchase a ro/di system and use the ro/di water to make your salt water. Also, ro/di water is best practice for fresh water. I have a spectrapure max 90 5 stage. TBS is zero and no chemical additives are needed ....

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am new to saltwater and I’m thinking of starting up a tank. I have freshwater tanks rn and I’m wondering if I can use the same dechlorinator to convert tap water into water for freshwater fish, but with saltwater. Meaning I would add the salt to the dechlorinated water. Would that work the same way as using distilled water in a salt water tank? Thanks!
Short answer is yes you can.

Unlike a fw tank all kinds of nastiness can be in the water that coral won't tolerate. Phosphates and nitrates are also in the water and this cause issues down the road with algae. Distilled water is close to rodi but it may have traces of copper in it.

If you are running a fowlr tap will work but you will end up with algae if not controlled some other way. Ro will also work
For reef distilled or rodi is the way to go.

Last edited:

my.PsychReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is common for new hobbyists to start with tap water and add declorinators when they first get into the saltwater hobby. Yes it works for some but not for all due to possible issues and contaminants that could affect the inhabitants in the long run. The best practice is to start with RO/DI water, perhaps you can purchase from the LFS. Then later purchase an RO/DI unit. Welcome to the hobby!

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191112_193349_01.gif

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I start a tank, I go to Walmart, pick up distill water, but now, grab from water dispenser at .30 cents a gallon

AquaholicAquariums

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I start a tank, I go to Walmart, pick up distill water, but now, grab from water dispenser at .30 cents a gallon

I tested Walmart (and target) distilled water and got 0 TDS. Have yet to get 0 TDS in LFS down in south Florida.

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how much it would be to get a Ro/di system? Maybe for under $100? And do I have to replace anything on it? Or is it just one purchase and you’re good?
Buy used but all replacement plus used may be more than a new unit. If you can get the unit for around 50 you will be money ahead

OP
OP
P

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best practice is to purchase a ro/di system and use the ro/di water to make your salt water. Also, ro/di water is best practice for fresh water. I have a spectrapure max 90 5 stage. TBS is zero and no chemical additives are needed ....
How did you find out the TBS and all that stuff? Do you use a water hardness tester?

World Wide Corals

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how much it would be to get a Ro/di system? Maybe for under $100? And do I have to replace anything on it? Or is it just one purchase and you’re good?
How big is your tank and water change schedule determines upkeep cost.

Terry Mattson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many good ro/di systems have tds meters on them. My spectrapure max 90 gallon per day checks 4 points on the filter system. . This system had hardness test trips used to test your water when setting up the unit. My tap water has a tds of 270. After membrain 3 tds. After the second to last filter 0. And last filter 0. I also have a hand tds meter as a back up.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
P

Pea Puffer 67

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many good ro/di systems have tds meters on them. My spectrapure max 90 gallon per day checks 4 points on the filter system. . This system had hardness test trips used to test your water when setting up the unit. My tap water has a tds of 270. After membrain 3 tds. After the second to last filter 0. And last filter 0. I also have a hand tds meter as a back up.
Ok Thanks! Do you know if the Buddie Rodi has that? And if it doesnt could i just buy a hand tds meter?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back