Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!! I actually just got my brotycladia from gulf coast ecosystems about 30 min ago! (Pictured)
View attachment 2869796

Looks great and I'm excited to put it in the tank!

I'm planning on doing a freshwater dip for 3-5 minutes. Have you guys done this / think it is a good idea?
I just put their macros straight into my tank. Probably a FW dip is a good idea but I have never done it and have never introduced any disease or pests into my tank. Hey, and congrats on the new macro!

AS
OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put their macros straight into my tank. Probably a FW dip is a good idea but I have never done it and have never introduced any disease or pests into my tank. Hey, and congrats on the new macro!

I got some gulf coast ecosystem macros and just did a visual inspection in a tub of saltwater before adding to my tank. Found a medusa worm (sea cucumber) and removed it. That's all I found, except a few pods.

Thanks for the info! The macro looked pretty clean but I gave it the FW dip anyways. Gulf coast eco gave me 5 pieces for $10! Pretty stoked.
20221020_151702.jpg

I added them in the back of the tank and love the pop of red coming from behind the rocks. Pics don't do it justice!
20221020_154514.jpg

20221020_152650.jpg

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!

CLICK TO VIEW

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get Bortacladia from the divers it is a rich burgundy color. It is normally collected in 15’-120’ of water. When added to reef tanks with bright lights, it is often photo-shocked with light intensity, loses its flotation balls and goes sexual. Under bright light, it turns fire engine red and under intense light an unattractive yellow/orange.

The last two pictures posted are 30G mixed garden macro tank at 18 months old.

Botryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.​
botryocluster.jpg
botryocladialargecluster.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back