Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into adding a couple of macro algaes to my display that will maintain benefits (hiding spot for pods, nutrient export, and food for inverts) but dont want anything that will take over. Does anyone have good recommendations?

I've also read conflicting accounts of various macro algae going sexual, becoming nuisance, or outcompeting for micronutrients. Are there certain macros to stay away from?

Some potential macros I'm considering are:

1) shaving brush plant
2) Gracilaria
3) red grape
4) Dragons tongue
5) pom pom

Let me know if you've had luck with any of these in the display tank! Particularly if you know it won't take over the tank!

Nutramar Foods

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried those in a dt, but in the sump/fuge area I have found that aquatic plants grow if they want too and not if I want them to. That shaving brush I have never observed long term survival in aquariums. I collected a few and they didn't cooperate. I don't see any reason not to try the one(s) you like best. If you add them all they will all die ime, if you add one it will die, or live if your tank will support macro algae. So add one, and if that lives try another, ime. Just suggesting a practical method of try. I don't think them types are prone to take overs, but if they do grow they porbably will require an occasional pruning, excpet for the Paint Brush. I don't think they spread or grow much.

Get one and try it!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried those in a dt, but in the sump/fuge area I have found that aquatic plants grow if they want too and not if I want them to. That shaving brush I have never observed long term survival in aquariums. I collected a few and they didn't cooperate. I don't see any reason not to try the one(s) you like best. If you add them all they will all die ime, if you add one it will die, or live if your tank will support macro algae. So add one, and if that lives try another, ime. Just suggesting a practical method of try. I don't think them types are prone to take overs, but if they do grow they porbably will require an occasional pruning, excpet for the Paint Brush. I don't think they spread or grow much.

Get one and try it!
Thanks, that's really helpful!

Top Shelf Aquatics

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only a handful of Caulerpa species (ex. C. racemosa) that are known to easily go sexual if not properly cared for (pruned regularly, etc.). Most Caulerpa and other macroalgae don't have this issue. Fleshy green macroalgae are usually the fastest growing of the macroalgae that will outcompete others, though these are the best for nutrient export (ex. Chaetomorpha, Ulva, green hair algae, and Caulerpa). Exceptions exist like the invasive brown macroalgae Dictyota.
Of the macroalgae you are considering, the first Gracilaria (assuming it's a fleshy species) is the only one used for nutrient export and as food with any regularity. However, if you wish to feed invertebrates in your display, I would avoid the fleshy macroalgae (Gracilaria and dragon's tongue, the rest are calcified or mostly calcified) since it is likely they would just get decimated unless placed in a refugium to be harvested. What herbivores do you have?

Scientific names of OP's algae:
1) Penicillus (P. capitatus, P. dumetosus, P. pyriformis, supplement with calcium)
2) Gracilaria (fleshy species include G. parvispora and G. tikvahiae)
3) Botryocladia (species with a calcified stem are decorative, ones without are invasive)
4) Halymenia dilatata (might also be misidentified Halymenia durvillei)
5) Gracilaria hayi (Calcified Gracilaria species)

Resources:
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookgreenalgae.htm
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookredalgae.htm
https://www.live-plants.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_marine_aquarium_plant_species

If you are worried about the lack of trace elements, try Brightwell Aquatics Chaeto GRO.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only a handful of Caulerpa species (ex. C. racemosa) that are known to easily go sexual if not properly cared for (pruned regularly, etc.). Most Caulerpa and other macroalgae don't have this issue. Fleshy green macroalgae are usually the fastest growing of the macroalgae that will outcompete others, though these are the best for nutrient export (ex. Chaetomorpha, Ulva, green hair algae, and Caulerpa). Exceptions exist like the invasive brown macroalgae Dictyota.
Of the macroalgae you are considering, the first Gracilaria (assuming it's a fleshy species) is the only one used for nutrient export and as food with any regularity. However, if you wish to feed invertebrates in your display, I would avoid the fleshy macroalgae (Gracilaria and dragon's tongue, the rest are calcified or mostly calcified) since it is likely they would just get decimated unless placed in a refugium to be harvested. What herbivores do you have?

Scientific names of OP's algae:
1) Penicillus (P. capitatus, P. dumetosus, P. pyriformis, supplement with calcium)
2) Gracilaria (fleshy species include G. parvispora and G. tikvahiae)
3) Botryocladia (species with a calcified stem are decorative, ones without are invasive)
4) Halymenia dilatata (might also be misidentified Halymenia durvillei)
5) Gracilaria hayi (Calcified Gracilaria species)

Resources:
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookgreenalgae.htm
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookredalgae.htm
https://www.live-plants.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_marine_aquarium_plant_species

If you are worried about the lack of trace elements, try Brightwell Aquatics Chaeto GRO.
This is great info! Thanks so much for the references too!

My tank is a 20 gal aio and is currently cycling with a few hermit crabs. I threw in some snail shells from the lfs and they turned out to be live cerith snails! So I also have 3 cerith snails.

After cycling, I imagine adding some more crabs (hermit and porcelin) and shrimp to the mix. Will these still decimate a fleshy/non calcified macro? I don't mind if they nibble it a bit but hope they don't completely destroy it.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great info! Thanks so much for the references too!

My tank is a 20 gal aio and is currently cycling with a few hermit crabs. I threw in some snail shells from the lfs and they turned out to be live cerith snails! So I also have 3 cerith snails.

After cycling, I imagine adding some more crabs (hermit and porcelin) and shrimp to the mix. Will these still decimate a fleshy/non calcified macro? I don't mind if they nibble it a bit but hope they don't completely destroy it.
No problem! What shrimp/hermit crabs do you have/are planning to add and will there be any fish in the tank?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the grape can go sexual, the others I don't think so. . . but not 100%

Are you running a fuge? in my experience chaeto will outcompete a lot of other Macros

Also my advise is to pick a good spot and try not to move them. . . maybe this is just me but I usually experience a little die back when first adding the algae and when changing it's position.

shootingstar_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only invert I know that will absolutely decimate macroalgae is urchins, otherwise it's mostly fish species (this is my current understanding). Inverts otherwise seem to focus on microalgaes, at least in my hands.

Any of those would look great. Of your list, I have personal experience with Dragon's tongue, and my only gripe with it is that it is an excrutiatingly slow growing macro. Cheatogro helps, but I am not trimming it like I am my actual cheato. However, because it's for looks anyway I'm not too bothered by its slow growth, and it is one of the most visually striking macros as it will glow under the blue LED lights :) .

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While sometimes referred to as Caulerpa (ex. grape Caulerpa like C. lentillifera and C. racemosa), species of red grape algae actually belong to the unrelated Botryocladia genus and are not known to go sexual.

Corals.com
OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! What shrimp/hermit crabs do you have/are planning to add and will there be any fish in the tank?
Currently dwarf hermits and a scarlet hermit. Might add another scarlet and another dwarf or two.

I don't have solid plans on the shrimp but maybe peppermint shrimp. Hoping to keep things peaceful.

For fish, I plan to get a couple of clowns and maybe either a goby or a firefish

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently dwarf hermits and a scarlet hermit. Might add another scarlet and another dwarf or two.

I don't have solid plans on the shrimp but maybe peppermint shrimp. Hoping to keep things peaceful.

For fish, I plan to get a couple of clowns and maybe either a goby or a firefish
These should all ignore your macroalgae or help to keep it clean; Halymenia is relatively soft, but I have never had any of my dwarf hermit crabs go after it.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you running a fuge? in my experience chaeto will outcompete a lot of other Macros

Also my advise is to pick a good spot and try not to move them. . . maybe this is just me but I usually experience a little die back when first adding the algae and when changing it's position.
Ohh interesting!

No refugium at the moment. I have a 20 gal aio and don't have too much space in the back. That's part of why I'm interested in putting something in the display.

Thanks for the advice!

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only invert I know that will absolutely decimate macroalgae is urchins, otherwise it's mostly fish species (this is my current understanding). Inverts otherwise seem to focus on microalgaes, at least in my hands.

Any of those would look great. Of your list, I have personal experience with Dragon's tongue, and my only gripe with it is that it is an excrutiatingly slow growing macro. Cheatogro helps, but I am not trimming it like I am my actual cheato. However, because it's for looks anyway I'm not too bothered by its slow growth, and it is one of the most visually striking macros as it will glow under the blue LED lights :) .
Fantastic!

How slow is slow? Have you had to trim it back? if so how often?

I like that it can grow with the blue LED!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have macro algae in my high nutrient display tank. Right now I have codium and gracilaria. The codium grows relatively slow compared to the gracilaria.
I am expecting an order next week from gulf coast ecosystems with more macros. I ordered opuntia, a halimeda and an upright less invasive caulerpa, Coraline fine which is a red macro, and lobophora. These are all new macros that I have never tried before.

I have not had success with shaving brush, mermaids fan or sargassum. I have had success with red grape and dragon's breath and cheato, although do not have any of those at the moment.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While sometimes referred to as Caulerpa (ex. grape Caulerpa like C. lentillifera and C. racemosa), species of red grape algae actually belong to the unrelated Botryocladia genus and are not known to go sexual.
I've been spelling that wrong ("Brotycladia") the whole time! D'oh!

Top Shelf Aquatics

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Botrycladia (red grape) and codium have been the champions in my 10g office tank. The Codium needs trimming (plucking, actually) every couple of weeks, and the Botrycladia (correctly spelled) needs a stalk or two trimmed off every 3 weeks or so. This is under an AI prime running AB+.

In my home tank (EVO 13.5g), I've added Botrycladia and codium into the tank, but it previously grew pom pom gracilaria rapidly. This was growing under some budget LED bars I just posted about (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...vy-budget-light-over-fluval-evo-13-5g.942517/). For the Pom Pom, I barely had to trim it, because the snails would frequently accidentally break off pieces that I could just fish out with tongs.

Mermaid's fans went to tatters in both of my tanks, not sure why.

Shaving brush got knocked over and had to be plucked because it started turning white, but there are several small shoots coming out of the sand bed that look healthy.

Pencil cap (like a small shaving brush) was susceptible to both GHA and bubble algae growing in the needles and smothering it.

Blue hypnea disintegrated in my 10g and never took off.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been spelling that wrong ("Brotycladia") the whole time! D'oh!
I knew I could not spell it correctly, so I just call it red grape, LOL.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have macro algae in my high nutrient display tank. Right now I have codium and gracilaria. The codium grows relatively slow compared to the gracilaria.
I am expecting an order next week from gulf coast ecosystems with more macros. I ordered opuntia, a halimeda and an upright less invasive caulerpa, Coraline fine which is a red macro, and lobophora. These are all new macros that I have never tried before.

I have not had success with shaving brush, mermaids fan or sargassum. I have had success with red grape and dragon's breath and cheato, although do not have any of those at the moment.

Botrycladia (red grape) and codium have been the champions in my 10g office tank. The Codium needs trimming (plucking, actually) every couple of weeks, and the Botrycladia (correctly spelled) needs a stalk or two trimmed off every 3 weeks or so. This is under an AI prime running AB+.

In my home tank (EVO 13.5g), I've added Botrycladia and codium into the tank, but it previously grew pom pom gracilaria rapidly. This was growing under some budget LED bars I just posted about (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...vy-budget-light-over-fluval-evo-13-5g.942517/). For the Pom Pom, I barely had to trim it, because the snails would frequently accidentally break off pieces that I could just fish out with tongs.

Mermaid's fans went to tatters in both of my tanks, not sure why.

Shaving brush got knocked over and had to be plucked because it started turning white, but there are several small shoots coming out of the sand bed that look healthy.

Pencil cap (like a small shaving brush) was susceptible to both GHA and bubble algae growing in the needles and smothering it.

Blue hypnea disintegrated in my 10g and never took off.

Thanks for the info!! I actually just got my brotycladia from gulf coast ecosystems about 30 min ago! (Pictured)
20221020_143944.jpg

Looks great and I'm excited to put it in the tank!

I'm planning on doing a freshwater dip for 3-5 minutes. Have you guys done this / think it is a good idea?

GottaLottaDogs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red grape, red ogo, purple fauchea, some serrated red macro algae, and ulva. The ulva surprisingly went sexual and is now covering a lot of rockwork. However, my nitrates are high so I don't really mind this. The serrated red algae and the fauchea grow a little to slowly for my liking. I really like the red grape and ogo! I've just placed an order for blue hypnea and string of pearls, so excited for that. Make sure to dose plenty of chaetogro. I went on vacation for 9 days without dosing (probably when my ulva went sexual), and a lot of my macros melted.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back