+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice.
I'm hoping that @Ranjib and crew can figure out what's needed to support the wavemakers in the reef pi software so that the pumps can be run in different modes. Since I can't do any of the programing I can only do off and on at set intervals.
He said that wavemaker control might be part of 3.0

Top Shelf Aquatics

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said that wavemaker control might be part of 3.0
It is slated for 3.0 . I was originally hoping for 2.0, but after using MP10, Icecap 1K and jebao, I felt that most wave maker comes with their controller, and all we need is to start/stop them during feed mode, which reef-pi can do already. I was also not very familiar with the BLDC driver (something we need for wavemakers). But I am shooting for this in 3.0, and if you have any specific thoughts/advice please share it here: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues/631 , or just drop me a PM and I'll add it there

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is slated for 3.0 . I was originally hoping for 2.0, but after using MP10, Icecap 1K and jebao, I felt that most wave maker comes with their controller, and all we need is to start/stop them during feed mode, which reef-pi can do already. I was also not very familiar with the BLDC driver (something we need for wavemakers). But I am shooting for this in 3.0, and if you have any specific thoughts/advice please share it here: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues/631 , or just drop me a PM and I'll add it there
Throttle control would be amazing for the wavemakers or gyres, but they do come with controllers.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman @Ranjib @Diamond1
I need to make a decision on my wavemakers now. I'm not sure if you all saw the videos of the tank when I had it running with the tap water, and I'm not sure if the returns constituted what is considered "high" flow, but I assume I'll have some dead areas at the least when I add the rocks to the tank. I'm looking for something I won't regret buying in a year.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's going to depend on a couple things.
What you want to keep and how much you want to spend.
Looking at the video you posted of the flow it looks like maybe the top 25 to 30 % of the tank is getting good flow from the returns. That's not going to keep detritus in suuspension to get it out of your tank. A couple of votex mp 40s would do but they are very pricey.
A couple of Jebao RW 40s would do the same and be less than the price of 1 mp40. I've run Jebaos on my tank for 3 years and had to replace 1 that went bad. If you keep them clean and maintained they should last a while.

The icecap gyres look cool but I have never used them.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's going to depend on a couple things.
What you want to keep and how much you want to spend.
Looking at the video you posted of the flow it looks like maybe the top 25 to 30 % of the tank is getting good flow from the returns. That's not going to keep detritus in suuspension to get it out of your tank. A couple of votex mp 40s would do but they are very pricey.
A couple of Jebao RW 40s would do the same and be less than the price of 1 mp40. I've run Jebaos on my tank for 3 years and had to replace 1 that went bad. If you keep them clean and maintained they should last a while.

The icecap gyres look cool but I have never used them.
I've heard mixed reviews of the icecap being loud and breaking down. I'll probably go with jebao pp15s

Avast
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok they have changed the model #s. I need to look at them again im thinking about upgrading mine to 2 of the small wifi models.
I need to look into the wifi ones

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok they have changed the model #s. I need to look at them again im thinking about upgrading mine to 2 of the small wifi models.
Looks like the OW series has the wifi

Top Shelf Aquatics

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed reviews of the icecap being loud and breaking down. I'll probably go with jebao pp15s

My IceCap Gyre 1k works great for my tank. Not loud at all, in fact dead quiet. I have heard a few times that the 3k has some noise at higher speeds. One user even had both models and noted the 3k was audible, but the 1k silent.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pump needs to be regularly maintained so I take people’s reviews of breakdowns with a grain of salt on any brand.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My IceCap Gyre 1k works great for my tank. Not loud at all, in fact dead quiet. I have heard a few times that the 3k has some noise at higher speeds. One user even had both models and noted the 3k was audible, but the 1k silent.
Might be worth looking into. 2 jebao OW-25s or 1 IceCap 1k...

Diamond1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Caveman I have been considering one of the smaller ones myself but havent seen a good long term review of them.
I have noticed some noise on my jebaos when they ramp up, but its not too bad. They have a bit of a high pitched wine. I took my phones db meter to the side of my tank and got a 25 db reading off them. That might be something to consider too.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Caveman I have been considering one of the smaller ones myself but havent seen a good long term review of them.
I have noticed some noise on my jebaos when they ramp up, but its not too bad. They have a bit of a high pitched wine. I took my phones db meter to the side of my tank and got a 25 db reading off them. That might be something to consider too.
I just saw that jebao makes a gyre as well....

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back