Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so please let me know if I'm way off here, but I'd like to share my thoughts on a stocking concept. I think we should add the smallest, and most simple creatures to the reef first. Bacteria is added via live rock or bottle, or seeded media. It conditions the water to handle the waste from everything else. Then we should add pods, and phytoplankton, as the phytoplankton, if live, will absorb nutrients from the water, which is in turn eaten by the pods, which make for plentiful, and nutrient packed pods. Then small fish and CUC, which will impact the pods due to preditation, but not in a way that would cause the pod population to crash. Then the larger fish, and CUC get's added. Then finally corals if that is what you're going for. I'm pretty sure someone has already written something similar, and explained all the science behind it, but I haven't read that book, so I'm reaching this conclusion on my own. I'm also super stoked to be getting my first shipment of pods and phytoplankton today, so that I can take the next step in this process.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so please let me know if I'm way off here, but I'd like to share my thoughts on a stocking concept. I think we should add the smallest, and most simple creatures to the reef first. Bacteria is added via live rock or bottle, or seeded media. It conditions the water to handle the waste from everything else. Then we should add pods, and phytoplankton, as the phytoplankton, if live, will absorb nutrients from the water, which is in turn eaten by the pods, which make for plentiful, and nutrient packed pods. Then small fish and CUC, which will impact the pods due to preditation, but not in a way that would cause the pod population to crash. Then the larger fish, and CUC get's added. Then finally corals if that is what you're going for. I'm pretty sure someone has already written something similar, and explained all the science behind it, but I haven't read that book, so I'm reaching this conclusion on my own. I'm also super stoked to be getting my first shipment of pods and phytoplankton today, so that I can take the next step in this process.

That is basically what I did. I would say corals before big fish, though, if I were to “go in order.” You want coral branches and such to be part of the environment for fish for hiding spots and swim through areas.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is basically what I did. I would say corals before big fish, though, if I were to “go in order.” You want coral branches and such to be part of the environment for fish for hiding spots and swim through areas.

Thanks!!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say big fish, what kinda fish are we talking about?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say big fish, what kinda fish are we talking about?

The kind of fish who when they swim by, the little fish hide in the corals. Corals benefit from fish waste, so having some fish when you add corals is good. Some fish naturally look to hide in coral structures. Once those structures are in place, they will have a place to hide after adding larger or more aggressive fish. It is also a good idea to add the most peaceful fish first and work up to the most aggressive. This way small fish have homes and hiding spots established when new fish come in.

I am no expert on specific big fish though if that is what you mean. My largest marine tank ever was only a standard 55 gallon.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kind of fish who when they swim by, the little fish hide in the corals. Corals benefit from fish waste, so having some fish when you add corals is good. Some fish naturally look to hide in coral structures. Once those structures are in place, they will have a place to hide after adding larger or more aggressive fish. It is also a good idea to add the most peaceful fish first and work up to the most aggressive. This way small fish have homes and hiding spots established when new fish come in.

I am no expert on specific big fish though if that is what you mean. My largest marine tank ever was only a standard 55 gallon.

I haven't gotten there yet. I'm still working on getting the tank cycled and my QT fish into the DT, which I suppose would be the small fish. There is a good chance that this tank will never have a fish that other fish hide from, but I get what you're saying.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the pod culture, and some baby brine to the tank last night, along with some phytoplankton for them to eat. The baby brine was free with the order, so I figured I'd just toss them in there to see what happens. I am getting antsy though, and I'm about to pull the trigger on another 2 pod cultures from a different vendor, just to help them get better established. I should probably get more phyto if I plan on going that route, or maybe not, if these guys can just snack on the fish food im ghost feeding with, which would be great in all honesty. I should be checking the water today to see where things are with respect to the cycle. Hopefully the tank is close to being ready, but even if it is I think I'll hold off until I'm sure the pods have taken root in the tank which should be a week or so.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycle has been stalled for a week or so where the ammonia level has remained the same. I even went to far as to add another bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only to the DT and Sump, only for it to kinda budge, but not much. So I finally went and got 1.5 pounds of live rock rubble for the fuge, including a slightly larger piece for the DT. Hopefully this helps things along, but I'm also hoping for some cool hitchhikers as well. Didn't see anything on it, and these aren't big pieces by any stretch, but if I can get some cool and useful microfauna, I'll be happy.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran some tests today, and I've decided that the tank is cycled. I will dose with prime in the meanwhile, but I cannot trust this tropic marin kit. I will probably get a red sea, or a sailfert, whichever ya'll recommend in all honesty, but the fish are going into the DT right now. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good lucK! hope it goes well for ya. what fish are you adding?
1 Royal Gamma, that may have already gotten sucked into the overflow, or hopefully in the rocks ;Nailbiting
1 Splendid Dottyback, that is probably in the rocks now o_O
1 Solor Wrasse, who is wandering the tank making himself at home :)
3 blue/green Chromis, who are doing just fine :)
3 Scissor Tail Dart Fish, who are also doing well :)
2 Clownfish, who are exploring as well :)
and 1 Chalk Goby, who is probably in the rocks as well o_O

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your salinity back up to 1.025?

As long as it works!

That sounds like a good plan

good lucK! hope it goes well for ya. what fish are you adding?

Folks, I did the thing!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back