Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently experimented with growing Gracilaria Hayi in a 1G jar with 13W of 6K color rendition resulting in orange tint everywhere that showed quite nicely. Because it was being confined and pressing against glass, I transferred Hayi to 75G display with 10 year old Hippo Tang with a healthy appetite. Due to being lightly calcified, Gracilaria Hayi is not on the menue, but everything else is ediable to Hippo & Lawnmower, especially Red Tree Sponges. However, the subject of this thread is “shades of red” with respect to how the pigments in the same macro change color with respect to intensity. In same spectrum but reduced intensity color went from burgundy to fire engine red to yellow orange.

RED MACROALGAE (RHODOPHYTA)
redalgae.bmp
The genus Rhodophyta is the largest and most diverse group of tropical and temperate marine algae with more than 2,000 species worldwide. Their dominant pigment is phycoerythrin, which gives off rich shades of red, orange and blue. Red macro algae are some of the most varied and striking of all marine algae and are highly sought after as aquarium specimens. Identification can be difficult in some species, such as Gracilaria, and some

image.jpg image.jpg
Post in thread 'Is orange on Dragon's Breath a good or bad sign?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...reath-a-good-or-bad-sign.966422/post-11084386

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I want more red to offset florescent green star polyps on back glass & lime green leather in 25 year old system with a Hippo tang that will not tolerant any more larger fish. So, to get my “red fix” I choose red tree sponge and Gracilaria Hayi. Both lawn mower Blennie & Hippo Tang snack on sponge and G Hayi, which is lightly calcified.

Also in this tank are Yellow Ball Sponge & Orange Elephant Ear Sponge along with Caribbean Gorgonions along with Sea Appe, Flame Scallops and deep water NPS Gorgonians.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back