Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused between the differences of a QT tank for fish and for Corals/Inverts. So I get the procedure for fish for the most part. But for corals and inverts you wouldn't be able to treat with the copper obviously so is it just a waiting game for the invert tank? Would the invert tank need higher end lighting to keep the corals alive? Also, in both tanks I assume we're throwing away the sponge media after the QT is complete and seeding a new one a few weeks before restarting it correct?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Fishyfish22

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
coral and inverts qt is for 2 things
1: make sure you don't introduce ich or velvet cysts
2: make sure you don't introduce coral pests

for 1, you wait out 42 days for the cysts to hatch into free swimmers in the qt tank, so you don't introduce them into the display or wherever the fish are held
for 2, you observe, dip, bathe, and do whats needed depending on what you see

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm a bit confused between the differences of a QT tank for fish and for Corals/Inverts. So I get the procedure for fish for the most part. But for corals and inverts you wouldn't be able to treat with the copper obviously so is it just a waiting game for the invert tank? Would the invert tank need higher end lighting to keep the corals alive? Also, in both tanks I assume we're throwing away the sponge media after the QT is complete and seeding a new one a few weeks before restarting it correct?
there isnt a real need to have QT tank for inverts. While inverts can have pests and protozoan on them- its rare.
Its the fish to be concerned with as a primary host. Protozoans have a life cycle of 45 - 60 days which is deemed a fallow period and assures theronts and tromonts have gone through life cycle and have died off.

BRS

Sharkattackmack

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably get away with much cheaper lighter than you think. If you find a good deal on a higher end you could grab it but it's not necessary. You will have a higher chance bleaching a coral with a higher "HP" light. Biggest things to watch on corals would be aptasia and other unwanted pests. I know I've dipped corals then put them on my frag rack just to find I missed something. It would be more of an observation tank. If you notice flatworms on your first dip you could house it in there and continually dip it every few days until no more flatworms come off it.

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral and inverts qt is for 2 things
1: make sure you don't introduce ich or velvet cysts
2: make sure you don't introduce coral pests

for 1, you wait out 42 days for the cysts to hatch into free swimmers in the qt tank, so you don't introduce them into the display or wherever the fish are held
for 2, you observe, dip, bathe, and do whats needed depending on what you see
So after 45 days any disease that would've hitched a ride on your coral would be considered dead correct? They can't reproduce without fish right?

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 45 days any disease that would've hitched a ride on your coral would be considered dead correct? They can't reproduce without fish right?
Correct - in the time something is in an invert qt, however, do not add anything new to that tank, as new parasites can come in and hitch a ride onto a coral that was ready to go into the dt.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fishyfish22

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sort of. Not any disease/parasites will be considered dead. Mainly ich. Velvet, and Brooke. Stuff you'd need to go fallow to treat. Uronema is one that will remain even during fallow periods or through coral qt because it feeds off detritus

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back