Did I break my tank ( first time drilling)

AI Hydra

Brian Kracht

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I just drilled my first glass tank. I'm pretty sure I did not break it after further investigation, but hopefully some internet confirmation will put me at ease for sure.

So to start with the problem or what I thought was the problem is that I had the back painted with latex paint before drilling. So when I drilled the first hole it seemed fine. Then I drilled the second hole and looked at the first one to see a spider web effect. I assumed it cracked the other hole.
IMG_20171019_124655.jpg

I assumed the latex was peeling as the glass cracked, so I started peeling the latex off.
IMG_20171019_125308.jpg

I sprayed it down with water and it didn't seem cracked. There were small chips and not a perfect circle.

IMG_20171019_130908.jpg
IMG_20171019_130901.jpg

I threw some bulkheads in and tried to plug it so water doesn't come out to do a leak test. Nothing was seeping put but after work I will check to see for sure.

Anyone think I will have an issue besides having to repaint which isn't a big deal?

I'm assuming I'm good since it looked worse at the time when I first saw it and of course the main fear in drilling is cracking.

Thanks for any input and your time for looking.

IMG_20171019_125247.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience small chips around the circumference of the whole when drilling glass is normal, I seen them on my own tanks that I have drilled and ones I have purchased pre-drilled, all and I think you did a good job!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sa6hir

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6ft 220g tank as 3 holes and all the holes have chips I didn’t sand them down or anything. What I did was add abit of aquarium silicon to each bulkhead. 2 years down it’s still fine. Another thing to note is the tank is ND aquatics so if they managed to chip the tank what are the chances u could do it without chipping it [emoji23].

World Wide Corals

sa6hir

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that silicone on bulkheads is contraindicated for some reason and I forget what that reason is so wait for answers before you go doing it

The reason was because of the seal on the bulkhead not being able to make good contact with the glass. But if you silicon it in the right place it doesn’t effect the seal at all. When I say right place I mean in the hole.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Brian Kracht

Brian Kracht

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that silicone on bulkheads is contraindicated for some reason and I forget what that reason is so wait for answers before you go doing it
Yeah I have thought of silicone on the bulkheads but most people don't seem to do that. I assume just for ease of removal in case it actually does go bad.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Brian Kracht

Brian Kracht

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have some people here, does anyone know of there being a problem drilling an acrylic overflow box with the same diamond drill bit for the class? I know there is a different bit a lot of people use, but I don't have it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a step bit for my acrylic then widend the hole with a diamond hole saw bit, it grinded up the acrylic in to little pieces as it went through but didn't bind or cause issues. Might be different starting with the DHSB to begin with as it will just grind into the acrylic.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Brian Kracht

Brian Kracht

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a step bit for my acrylic then widend the hole with a diamond hole saw bit, it grinded up the acrylic in to little pieces as it went through but didn't bind or cause issues. Might be different starting with the DHSB to begin with as it will just grind into the acrylic.
I might look for one of those.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look, it's hard to find larger sizes so I bought the biggest one the Depot had 1 1/8" and bored out the other 1/8" with the diamond bit. Keep in mind the step bit alone was $85 (Canadian) at the Depot. You might be able to source a cheaper one but I didn't feel like waiting for shipping lol

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back