Dedicated Drilled Drain Line in Display Tank ?

BRS

jim881

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of building a new 350 acrylic reef tank. I was considering having a dedicated "drain line" drilled into the back ..basically a bulkhead with strainer, fed to gate valve, which is then fed directly to drain sink. The idea here would be an extremely easy way to execute 55 gallon water change. Open Valve, drain to specified level, shut valve. Then, open valve on mixing station salt water to refill. Is this advisable ? I love the idea of no hoses needed weekly water change.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great idea! I would make sure you can service the bulkhead and valve. Definitely use a schedule 80 bulkhead and valve.

The gate valve is probably not needed since it is for water changes only. A simple ball valve will do the trick and save you some coin.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great idea! I would make sure you can service the bulkhead and valve. Definitely use a schedule 80 bulkhead and valve.

The gate valve is probably not needed since it is for water changes only. A simple ball valve will do the trick and save you some coin.
Why Schedule 80?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Schedule 80?
Schedule 80 bulkheads are much stronger and less likely to break over time. The schedule 80 ball valves are easier to turn and less likely to give you issues with them seizing up down the road.

Corals.com
OP
OP
J

jim881

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, love the idea of drilling the bulkhead at or near the 55 gallon mark. ....very clever and a good fail safe ....Also, 100% yes on ball valve and schedule 80 ....the stronger the better on anything drilled / attached into main display.
When I get the build done, i'll upoload some photos.
It should be an incredibly smooth and simple way to move a bunch of water with a couple of turns ....or at least I hope :)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back