Declining Nutrients - OK to remove Filter Socks?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 9 months old and hitting a period of stabilization. Over the last few months, my N and P have dropped from 10N, .1P to 5N, 0.05P. Each week, there is a incremental decrease in nutrients.

I'd be happy if my Nutrients just chilled around these numbers, or maybe slightly higher. I am looking for suggestions on what to "turn off" in order to stabilize. What i don't want is to bottom out on nutrients in a few months.

What I am running for nutrient export:
1) Filter Socks
2) Skimmer
3) Refugium (will continue to run, as it helps with PH)
4) Very small carbon dosing (half dose of TM BactoBalance)

I have attempted to stop #4, and nutrients continued to drop. So I feel like 1 - 3 are contributing to nutrient drop.

My PH is really low, and really want skimmer and Fuge to be running as long as possible.

That leaves my filter socks, or take the cap off the skimmer.

Will there be an issue pulling filter socks? And if so, I am assuming I will need to vaccum out the sump more frequently.

goosemans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used filter socks, never had an issue. Have you tried running CO2 media through a reactor attached to your skimmer?

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used filter socks, never had an issue. Have you tried running CO2 media through a reactor attached to your skimmer?
Sounds good. Yes - just started CO2 scrubber and has a positive impact (at least gets me at 7.95 - 8.15 ph, which is a decent increase).

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could reduce the photoperiod of the Refugium and see the effect.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, that is an option. I run it 12 hours right now (opposite of light schedule), mainly to help with PH balance.
Worth a try if trend continues you will find yourself having to go the dosing way.

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think the filter socks will make too much of a difference what’s you’re stocking lvls

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sixty_reefer is right. You could reduce schedule to 10 hours. Then 8 hours. It should slow it down some more. Have you also thought about feeding some more to introduce N and P to the tank? And filter socks are usually polishing the water besides removing organics.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think the filter socks will make too much of a difference what’s you’re stocking lvls
100g Display + 50G Sump. 86 total water volume.

15 or so fish + 100 inverts. 30+ Coral of various maturity

Feed 3 Cubes a day, Quarter Sheet of Nori, and Auto feed Pellets 3x a day

I feel like outside of just dumping more food in, that is a lot. I could probably feed more Nori if needed

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals and fish looking good,I personally would leave it as is and just feed a bit more if they drop but your lvls seem spot on to me if everything is happy

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option is to add a couple more fis
@sixty_reefer is right. You could reduce schedule to 10 hours. Then 8 hours. It should slow it down some more. Have you also thought about feeding some more to introduce N and P to the tank? And filter socks are usually polishing the water besides removing organics.

Yes, I can reduce. My goal with the Fuge and Skimmer is to really maintain my PH. So reducing photo period my impact that a bit, but also worth exploring

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100g Display + 50G Sump. 86 total water volume.

15 or so fish + 100 inverts. 30+ Coral of various maturity

Feed 3 Cubes a day, Quarter Sheet of Nori, and Auto feed Pellets 3x a day

I feel like outside of just dumping more food in, that is a lot. I could probably feed more Nori if needed
Is it possible you have a overabundance of bacteria or sorts feeding on N and P? You can also reduce skimmer time to slow it down as well.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals and fish looking good,I personally would leave it as is and just feed a bit more if they drop but your lvls seem spot on to me if everything is happy

yep, everything is good. I can add another cube in the evening, and maybe another quarter sheet of Nori in the afternoons. If it continues to drop, increase pellets

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option is to add a couple more fis

Yes, I can reduce. My goal with the Fuge and Skimmer is to really maintain my PH. So reducing photo period my impact that a bit, but also worth exploring
You recently stopped bactobalance. How long has it been?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back