Damsel-centered tanks?

Fishguy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever kept or seen a damsel-centered tank? I love the look of the black and white damsels (striped and domino) and wonder if they would make a cool display on their own. (I know their looks fade with age.)

I know all about their bad reputation and have kept some of the blue damsels in the past.

I don’t necessarily have any plans to set up a damsel only tank, but am curious about it because I think they look cool and behave interestingly.

I’ve been out of saltwater for awhile but keep freshwater tanks, and tend to specialize in species only or limited species thanks, including “drab” fish.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever kept or seen a damsel-centered tank? I love the look of the black and white damsels (striped and domino) and wonder if they would make a cool display on their own. (I know their looks fade with age.)

I know all about their bad reputation and have kept some of the blue damsels in the past.

I don’t necessarily have any plans to set up a damsel only tank, but am curious about it because I think they look cool and behave interestingly.

I’ve been out of saltwater for awhile but keep freshwater tanks, and tend to specialize in species only or limited species thanks, including “drab” fish
I have not seen it but it would be pretty cool. I think it would require a somewhat large tank with a ton of live rock due to their territorial/aggressive nature.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 20 gallon damsel tank for a couple of years. I could only fit 2 damsels, they would kill anything else I try to add. Even adding the second damsel was tough, I had to divide the tank for about 3 months.

They are beautiful fish I wish I could keep more but they are too mean.

OP
OP
F

Fishguy321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 20 gallon damsel tank for a couple of years. I could only fit 2 damsels, they would kill anything else I try to add. Even adding the second damsel was tough, I had to divide the tank for about 3 months.

They are beautiful fish I wish I could keep more but they are too mean.ere's
I wonder if they would do well in large numbers in a larger tank like African cichlids. Would the aggression lessen if there are so many targets for the aggression?

I realize you can't crowd them the same exact way as cichlids, since it's saltwater and there's less oxygen, but I wonder if more numbers would generally help.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been out of saltwater for awhile but keep freshwater tanks, and tend to specialize in species only or limited species thanks, including “drab” fish.
I have a single humbug damsel in my display fuge, he's a big meanie and I love him. You'd need a fairly large tank to keep multiple I think, and I'm almost certain they'd eviscerate any other damsels.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back