Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really pleased with my new D-D jump guard.
As I have on tank light brackets I had to find away around them without leaving any gap a small fish could escape through and I have had a number carpet surf over the years. I keep mainly small fish in pairs etc so they can be pretty frisky for some esp when it comes to spawning time.

The jump guard is fitted to my D-D 1500 pro reef. I followed the instructions but got my wife to help when it came to stretching the net taunt. The D-D fittings designed to go round the likes of light brackets were just to open around my Orphek on tank light brackets.
I decided to cut approximately 1/4" out of the rear edge around each bracket. I then sealed the edges with 4 coats of black nail varnish to help prevent saltwater into the cuts.

When making up the jump guards I applied 3 coats of black nail varnish to each cut surface before assembly. Once assembled I applied a further 2 coats of nail varnish over the joints.

I also decided on 2 feeding portals, one each end of the jump guard so less boisterous fish can feed at one end and get their fair share of food. I made an angled cut in the left hand rear corner for my gyer cable to exit.

The whole jump guards is a really snug fit with no possibility of any small.fish escaping anywhere.

BTW. There is a 1mm slot in the weir that I put a slither a 1mm thick acrylic which reduces the gap between the jump guard and the weir top so nothing can surf over the top of the weir.

There is no sag at all in the net which is quite taunt and neatly fitted and all bases are covered with regards to possible fish escaping.
20220419_120343.jpg
20220419_120355.jpg
20220419_120212.jpg

20220419_120129.jpg

20220419_120129.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've recently built a DD jump guard for my RSR 425 XL and have two small gaps at the back around the light brackets. I used the smallest cut outs in the DD kit but I still have a 1/4" gap in front of each bracket.
I intend to glue a couple black perspex strips over the gaps but am unsure what adhesive would be safe to use while the cover is in place.
I could of course remove the cover but I just know that someone would jump out while I wasn't looking!

Any tips? The obvious reefsafe RTV's don't seem to have many posts regarding safety while curing. I appreciate that it won't be in the water but it could certainly be splashed!

Cheers.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've recently built a DD jump guard for my RSR 425 XL and have two small gaps at the back around the light brackets. I used the smallest cut outs in the DD kit but I still have a 1/4" gap in front of each bracket.
I intend to glue a couple black perspex strips over the gaps but am unsure what adhesive would be safe to use while the cover is in place.
I could of course remove the cover but I just know that someone would jump out while I wasn't looking!

Any tips? The obvious reefsafe RTV's don't seem to have many posts regarding safety while curing. I appreciate that it won't be in the water but it could certainly be splashed!

Cheers.

Super glue gell or just silicon it on.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back