Cycle in progress

Behrens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Month into fishless cycle and still have .2 nitrite, nitrate is at 30 and ammonia is gone or minimal. Using a tropic marin test kit. Tank was started with live sand but dry rock. Using microbacter7 as instructions read but I feel like this is taking longer than it should. Nitrite has been stuck where it’s at for weeks. Did I miss something?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Month into fishless cycle and still have .2 nitrite, nitrate is at 30 and ammonia is gone or minimal. Using a tropic marin test kit. Tank was started with live sand but dry rock. Using microbacter7 as instructions read but I feel like this is taking longer than it should. Nitrite has been stuck where it’s at for weeks. Did I miss something?
Nope. Just stop testing for it at all to be honest. Given the time, and the reading of ammonia and nitrate you can consider yourself cycled.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal starting with dry rock. The only thing in this hobby coming fast is failure. your cycle has started and you have all types of bacteria. A bit more patience and you will be on your way :)

Also do some research on the effect of nitrite on saltwater fish. It is not the same as freshwater. You could even consider already adding a small and hardy fish. Prob ammonia will stay at 0 and nitrite will eventually reduce to 0 too

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You missed the part where we usually disregard nitrite when cycling saltwater aquaria ;-)

Nitrite is not considered dangerous in saltwater tanks the way it is in freshwater tanks, and even with a good test kit such as yours, you may be getting a false reading.

You started with and dosed the right products. Your ammonia was up, and is now zero, and your nitrates are up.

Congrats, you're cycled :)

But proceed slowly, of course ;-)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back