Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had this tank for 4 months now. And iv had nutrients crash before where i hit 0 phosphate, and 0 nitrate. So after i started dosing those two. My corals and everything looked much better. Till dinos showed up. But it got way better in 3-4 days started to retract. But now i woke up to cyano showing up on rocks. What should i do? Phosphate is 0.08, and nitrate is 8.6 according to hanna. Salinity is 1.025, and temp is 77F. Alk is 7.4 with tropic marin pro salt.

Top Shelf Aquatics
CLICK TO VIEW

djf91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had this tank for 4 months now. And iv had nutrients crash before where i hit 0 phosphate, and 0 nitrate. So after i started dosing those two. My corals and everything looked much better. Till dinos showed up. But it got way better in 3-4 days started to retract. But now i woke up to cyano showing up on rocks. What should i do? Phosphate is 0.08, and nitrate is 8.6 according to hanna. Salinity is 1.025, and temp is 77F. Alk is 7.4 with tropic marin pro salt.
In a new tank like that I would say try to keep detritus buildup to a minimum. Blow off rockwork daily with a powerehead or turkey baster and vacuum sandbed routinely.

air_run

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree with waiting it out and blowing it off of rocks, if it is driving you nuts you can also manually remove it every few days. I took .25" clear acrylic tubing and cut one end at a 45 degree angle and attached a silicone hose to the other side to make a small siphoning tool. Every few days I just siphoned the Cyano into a filter sock in the sump or a bucket and returned the water.

Also, you can try @SunnyX method of dosing Microbacter7 and Calcium Carbonate. See below:

Just keep up with routine maintenance and like others stated, it will balance out in due time.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back